Is there anyway to modify note duration after note input without leaving note entry mode?

I’m probably missing something obvious so please excuse me.
As of now I can input a whole note with note input (caret) for example. But if I decide it should be a half note instead, I have to exit note input mode, press the numerical key command to make it the right duration, engage note input mode again and then position the caret to where I was before to continue writing.

Is there a way to just change the duration of the recently inputted note without all these steps and without losing your positioning/flow?

1 Like

Yes, you can easily modify the duration of the last note you entered without leaving note input, using Alt-Shift-left or right arrow, which will change it according to the rhythmic grid.

2 Likes

Or move the caret back to the start of the note, make sure Chords isn’t activated, and re-input a new note with the updated duration, which overwrites it.

Quite possibly not better or easier, just an alternative.

2 Likes

What if I want to modify the accidental?

Alt-Shift-Up/Down moves whatever’s selected chromatically.

If I’m note entry mode that command moves the last inputted note diatonically. I just wanted to add an accidental after inputting a note without having to leave note entry

No, Shift-Alt-up/down makes it chromatic.

If instead of making an enharmonic change Julian just wants to add a sharp to a note retroactively, pressing the plus sign (+) should sharp the last note entered if one is still in note-entry mode.

Only if he’s set this Preference. (Note: this is not the default.)

For that matter, Shift-Alt-Up/Down don’t change things enharmonically, @Derrek . That’s Alt-- and Alt-=

Serves me right for talking off the top of my head. Sorry, Julian. :grimacing:
I must have changed the default for sharps and flats way back, since even when writing music with pencil and paper, I never wrote the accidental before the note.

Thanks, Leo, for the swift correction.

1 Like