Is there something like....

Merry Christmas and a happy, successful New Year to you all>!!!

I have a question: is there something like a quality external video card ( e.g. USB/FW connection )?
I am tired of squeezing cards in/on new MoBos ( Int 2011 socket, yeahhh!). With the grafic cards getting bigger and using mostly 2 slots, it really gets cramped on the PCI area and I don’t want any Magma chassis and sorts just for 1 or 2 extra slots…

Completely stupid that they don’t build wider MoBos. There is usually more than enough space in a Midi Tower case.
But the mechanical side of PCs ( think late 80s: slots, sockets, cases, screws, mounting brakes, etc. ) was always neglected and constructed rather brainlessly… Any precision mechanik could have designed and built better better ones…

Big K ( smelling another cup of Gluehwein and cookies comming on… What might be under the tree for me this year?? )

Well, “typical” users will not need that much cards anymore - remember old days… SCSI card, Soundcard, maybe ISDN, USB, Firewire - today everything what you (as a consumer) will ever need is onboard. Only thing people need are fast gaming mega grafic cards.

But we have as well:

1-3 soundcards
1-4 DSP cards
in my case an USB3 card as well

I spent lots of cash to have a single grafic card with 4 outs - everyone recommended to just use 2 dual head. But then, whats up with the UAD Quad? The RME Raydat?

Fortunately my board has still a 32bit PCI slot, so it is no problem to use that old magma chassis holding 3x UAD1 and 2x PoCo PCI…

I know, my post is from no help - but… :slight_smile:

Hehehe…
You sing the old elegy of studio DAW owners…
"Show me the way to the last PCI slot…LOL…

Thank goodness there is a PCI slot even on the very last ASUS P9 2011 Socket board.
Since I don’t use it that often, anyway, I have now auctioned a PoCo FW and that gives me a free PCIe space, now.
…and a second PoCo card on the shelf… :frowning:
Still, prety cramped in the box…

Big K

Am I allowed to ask what the price of used PoCo Firewires are these days?

As I am upset with TC that these concept is discontinued and I would not spend more money here I thought recently to buy a “spare” PoCo Firewire - my unit is from day one and usually not recognized in Win after boot-up. It will depend on the price, maybe these units will be sold cheap - then it might be a good idea to get one, even if you know that you might not be able to use it in 5 years.

Oh - and I just stepped over new drivers on the TC page.

I got mine (MKII) for 150 Euro…
Seen others for 500…
Big K