is there yet a way to print ALL INDIVIDUAL FLOWS as separate pdfs from a single Dorico Project?

I’m notating a Broadway-bound musical and have enjoyed very much the convenience of putting each show number into a single Dorico project. However, they are requesting individual pdfs of each song to send to the singers (a common request), and I can find no way to do this quickly in Dorico, even though (admittedly) it seems like it would be a common thing to do in this world. Instead, I had to go through my single Dorico session with its multiple flows and specify individual print ranges (which just took an hour) to export. (Using “Export Flows” and then trying to open and print them individually didn’t save any time either). Thanks for any help (and if this isn’t possible, please consider this a feature suggestion!) I should add that if there IS currently no way to do this, then perhaps even adding an “export as pdf” checkmark option to the existing “Export Flows” feature would do the trick (to save the extra step of having to then open each separately saved Flow individually to print them).

• D.D.

There’s still no easy way to do this. The quickest way I can think of is to create a layout that contains all flows, set layout options so that each flow starts on a new page, then export a PDF. Then, in any PDF editor of your choice, extract the relevant pages to a new file. On macOS Preview will do it.

Thanks. Your method probably might have been a bit faster but I really hope they’ll also add this feature internally to the program at some point (among the many other requests I know they constantly receive :slight_smile:)…The Broadway world I’m sure would thank them (it’s the flip side essentially of the VERY useful feature they DO have of allowing for the entire score to exist in a single session, but is pretty critical also in order to share individual songs easily with the “talent”…)
D.D.

Thanks. Your method probably might have been a bit faster but I really hope they’ll also add this feature internally to the program at some point (among the many other requests I know they constantly receive :slight_smile:)…The Broadway world I’m sure would thank them (it’s the flip side essentially of the VERY useful feature they DO have of allowing for the entire score to exist in a single session, but it’s pretty critical also to be able to print PDFs of individual songs easily for the “talent”…)
D.D.

This is one of the reasons why some of us do NOT create scores with several flows. Sometimes the old way of doing it – one file per “flow” – still is better, especially after some guys noticing Dorico getting too slow when many flows are involved.

But there sure are also advantages with several flows per a Dorico project. I guess. :slight_smile:

The big advantage for me was that I could orchestrate straight out of the one file, to create nice parts with minimum page count.
The disadvantages are that Dorico slows (although there are ways to mitigate this) and individual songs can’t be exported - which would be especially useful for orchestra parts when a number is altered or replaced. Leo’s method of doing this in Preview (on Mac) is quicker than setting individual page counts. My method is to duplicate the big file in the Finder and to quickly delete pages before and after each song. I find that quicker than extracting repeatedly from the same file.

There are so many advantages to working with multi-flow documents that the slight disadvantage of having to print out page ranges, or use any number of PDF-splitting utilities, pales into insignificance.

It just seems strange to have to resort to these workarounds just to print individual songs from a single Dorico file, since exporting separate PDFs for the singers is so commonly needed in the Broadway world (and in other areas I’m sure as well). Hopefully this feature will be on the radar for inclusion in the future (fingers crossed!) I will say that I haven’t noticed any speed problems - at least with a Broadway score containing 15 flows and (thus far) about 150 pages (Act 1)…

• D.D.

I was looking for a way to do this - thanks to Leo for the workaround (post 2).