is there yet any way to do a "left-opening" laissez vibrer tie in Dorico 3?

(as in the following very common example where it would typically be needed, in which I’d of course prefer to easily indicate that the circled notes be tied over from the previous bar from right before the first ending?):

I know there are various suggestions for how to manually change the right-opening one to left via Engrave Mode settings, but just curious if (on the horizon) there might (at the least) be a property setting that allows you to simply check “open to the left” or “open to the right”, etc.? (though obviously the developers have had plenty on their plate!)

Thanks and best -

• D.D.

I don’t believe there is any added functionality in this regard.

When it does get added, we will probably hear audible cheers around the world.

It would be nice if this was completely automatic when it gets implemented. Maybe select the note before and after first time bar.
Unless there’s another reason for a backward facing l.v? Does relativity allow that?

Just an idea - you might be able to accomplish this by adding a new playing technique glyph based on the l.v. tie symbol and orienting it so that the end of the l.v. tie is at the center point.

I haven’t messed with that but it seems like possibly the fastest workaround (trying to tweak in Engrave was admittedly a pain).
Best and thanks all -
D.D.

Some composers like to notate written-out values instead of pedaling (owing much to Debussy, for example), or they might want to notate the result of an arpeggiated chord that was played with the pedal. It is often also useful to “cut” ties in two in complex passages, where voices would cross a long tie.

Ah yes, I get your examples. I can’t remember ever having to do this except where I’ve been unhappy with Finale’s timing over system breaks.

Dear fellow Doricians,
On the topic of laissez-vibrer ties backwards, I found that if this was to happen on a condensed instrument, propagate propery (from non condensed score) would not propagate to the condensed version. So tweaking twice in Engrave mode is needed. Just to warn you!

Can anyone help with how I would do what is suggested above? I’m intrigued but can’t figure it out (I haven’t yet had an opportunity to experiment with glyphs, etc.).

• D.D.

Under playing techniques panel, click the + button to add a new playing technique. Change type dropdown from text to glyph. A pen icon will appear in the bottom left of the preview pane (just above “General” and “Continuation”). Click on the pen icon to enter the glyph editor. Delete whatever is already in there (probably the default text will be there). Then under the Bravura font, choose the proper range where the l.v. graphic is (not sure what section it is under). Then you can add it and you can move it to the left so that the center point is at the end of the l.v. graphic instead of the beginning.

1 Like

Thanks - I’ll take a look. Since my post, I also re-visited the “tweaking the right-facing laissez faire in Engrave Mode to make it left-facing” workaround and see that it’s not as cumbersome as I remembered, especially since I can do just one (by moving the handles), copy the newly-positioned tie and it’s note and then use this to paste to the other staff positions with it and re-pitch (provided I then subsequently select what I’ve done in Write Mode, switch to Engrave Mode, and “propagate properties” to ensure the changes also occur in the parts). Not exactly the most elegant solution but definitely works in the interim!
Best -

• D.D.
1 Like

And remember that if you click and grab on the extreme handle and keep pressing alt key, the whole tie will get modified (not just that handle) which makes this kind of operation way faster.

1 Like

I need these backwards l.vs. connecting to already-tied notes, and the existing workaround which I know about (it involves using a second voice) seems to be less useful to me than the possibility of creating a playing technique, using the system you describe, @mducharme. But I can’t find the l.v. tie anywhere in the lists/sections of the glyph editor: the range ‘Beams and Slurs’, AFAICS, has only blank panels in the SMuFL section and mostly clefs, accidentals, beams and brackets in the Unicode section. Where else might I try? Apologies, by the way, if there is already a later reply to this question (in a thread from 2019), but I couldn’t find one.

If someone wants tu use it, here you have! (select the start as in the gif to save the playing techniques)

LaissezVib

Laissez Viber Tie Pre.dorico (433.4 KB)

3 Likes

Many thanks for this, @tanreb!

1 Like

You’re welcome :wink:

This is great - thanks! But any chance of Dorico still adding easy left-facing laissez-faire ties to Dorico natively in the near future without any workarounds (among the I’m sure many things you’re of course always working on :-)?)

• D.D.
1 Like

This hopefully won’t be considered a “bump” since it’s been a while. But as there’s a new update coming up I was just curious if there were any developments in terms of Dorico 4.x being able to do natively do proper left-leaning laissez vibrer ties?

No, there have been no changes in this area, and we do not anticipate solving this requirement by adding the ability to set an “inward” l.v. tie in any case.

1 Like