is this coming to Cubase 6 or 7?

I would welcome this into Cubase… certainly.

And (cynic that I am) it also sounds like that date could be extended, should they so choose (for whatever reason).

Taking January as given, figure on a further couple of months for dev/testing (maybe more so in SB’s case because of their product range…?) and we’re looking at well into Q2 2012 at the earliest before we see something in Cubase (if at all…!).

My opinion is, this ARA thing really only has the buzz, when utilising the full DNA stuff found in Melodyne Editor - which may be a significant extra expense for some folk to enjoy. Otherwise, although it does work well and the integration is good, some nice tweaks/enhancements to VariAudio would be welcome.

I don’t want to have Melodyne available in Cubase. And I doubt Steinberg will ever license Melodyne Tec to be integrated into Cubase. They already have VariAudio.

ARA is not meant to be an integration of Melodyne into a DAW.

As I understand it, ARA is an extension to the existing VST interface, which allows a VST not only to process MIDI/Audio/Sync realtime, but to have access to the underlying data structures offline.

ARA is a general interface which enables VST/AU plugins, if they are developed to make use of additional ARA communictaion, to be part of the underlying data structures, like item positioning in the timeline etc…

So YES, I would like to see the ARA hosting capability implemented into Cubase. Not only to use Melodyne, which I own, but to be able to have a wide range of future plugins available, which not only plug in sonic capabilities into DAWs, but ergonomic editing capabilities.

Think of spectral editing of audio items for example. Not with a realtime plugin, but to be able to edit a cubases audio item way beyond the waveform editing way…

I disagree, the time saved not having to transfer the audio plus the ability to still edit it normally in cubase is a major workflow improvement even without the dna thing. It will take variaudio years just to catch up where melodyne is now, and then meldoyne will have made some ne changes so steiney will always be behind them, they should just support it the way it’s supposed to be like others are going to do and be done with it, imo.

maybe I’m a little slow but your reply doesn’t make any sense, especially if you already use melodyne, why would you want to have the limitations like having to transfer the audio into melodyne and then not being able to move it or edit the waveform normally anymore? Why wouldn’t you want instant drag and drop audio to midi etc etc?

I’ll wait until maybe january to see what happens with cubase and other daws and if I don’t see or hear anything positive happening then I’ll just upgrade my S1 artist instead of upgrading cubase and then I won’t care anymore if steiney take years to make a move. Between the dongle and the inferior cpu performance cubase is really giving less and less reasons to stay loyal to it, I love it because I know how to use it, but things aren’t how they used to be, the S1 workflow is seeming better and better even before this, they’re all pretty good now. even Reaper is good since I already have all my own 3rd party plugs. if steiney is going to be putting a lot of effort into variaudio that’s gonna be a waste for me.

Hmm… Am I missing something…? That is the primary way of working with VariAudio - well, it was a couple of days ago on some vocal takes I was tweaking…

To recap, my point was, given what you get with VariAudio now the part I see thats the real buzz with ARA is when its fully used with the DNA thing; something I agree SB might take a while to implement (if at all) in VariAudio.

You’re probably right - if you’re talking Melodyne Editor editions capabilities.

And again, agreed - that would be good (speedier…!) if they did. :slight_smile:

does variaudio have instant drag and drop audio to midi? that has nothing to do with the dna thing. I only tried vari once or twice so I don’t know. also I’m on C5.5.3 not 6. and can you still edit clips normally in the project window cut paste copy etc while it’s in vari audio? again this has nothing to do with the dna thing so this is not exclusive to melodyne editor. vari seems to be far behind even the budget version of melodyne, please correct me if I’m wrong.

Not instant, but can be done with the Sample Editor; page 291 of manual

Yes, though a new version is created (renders/flattens first)

So, not so far behind; agreed, none of these things are DNA related, they can be done now. Thus, back to my point…

Bob

ok, if it’s not instant then it’s not drag and drop period. and if it has to render and flatten first before being able to be edited normally then that is definitely not the same thing at all as still being inside and editable, so it will be annoying to make further edits. These are big things that I imagine will make a huge difference and save a lot of time and creative flow, and this is just the budget version of melodyne against the main and only version of vari, and this is without getting into the actual specific editing features etc, so I’d have to disagree with you because imo it seems pretty far behind to me.

Hmmm, ok - point(s) taken; I’m always up for workflow improvements… :slight_smile:

Audio to midi ‘drag and drop’ would be very welcome; so would the speed of working on pitch/timing correction as demo’d in the vids for ARA (and still remain fully editable) - something VA can’t manage to keep up with (right now…!). But hey, I do get work done without…

Bob

any news at all about this? I’m finally just about ready to upgrade from C5 and I’m very tempted by studio one v2 because of this feature. It’s a workflow changer and I just want to hear if it’s coming to c6 or 7 or not, so far steiney have been too silent about it. If I don’t hear anything soon I’m going to upgrade to presonus and then I’ll check back with cubase around version 8. Cubase 5 has been great for me but I’m ready for some new features now that it’s 2012.

Re: the quality of the audio itself … any consensus on whether the final result favors Melodyne or Variaudio?

variaudio can’t do polyphonic audio so there’s really nothing out there that can be compared to melodyne. Not to mention drag and drop audio to midi etc etc

Thanks samicide, but what I was asking was beyond features and workflow … the quality of the audio “engine” or algorithm - if doing the same tasks on both, could one tell by listening whether they were hearing variudio vs mdyne?

it’s like everything else in the plugin world, the plugs that are included with a daw can be ‘good enough’ and usable, but there’s always 3rd party stuff that’s going to be better, and I’ve never seen one exception to that rule.

is it possible to get a response from one of the mods?

I don’t think any of the mods of the forum has any rights to make any comments on future developement of Steinberg software unless especially told to do so by their superiors. Basic procedure on any software company found on this planet.

:unamused:

There have been many times in the past where Chris or other mods have posted in threads that had questions regarding future requests or similar.

Yes there has … and I can bet they asked permission from their boss before doing it. Silence from their side can mean:

• We don’t want to talk about this, because we’re not going to do it
  • We don’t want to talk about this, because we don’t want our competitors know we’re doing this
  • We don’t want to talk about this, because we are going to implement something you didn’t even dream about
    or just:
  • We didn’t see your post

and the inferior cpu performance cubase is really giving less and less reasons to stay loyal to it,

And what worldwide inferior CPU performance would that be then?

Feature would be nice but I’m not going to get my camiknicks in a twist because Cubase isn’t going to be fashionable for a few months.
Are you making music or just DAWknocking? :mrgreen: