Is this kind of PLE/Macro command possible?

OK… what I’m trying to do is select a track and with that track highlighted trigger a PLE/Macro command that will unhide a folder related to that selected track.

Some info:
In my template I have an track named “Piccolo CW” that has an expression map on it and also a hidden folder next to it named “Piccolo CW *Arts” that contains all the same articulations split out on seperate tracks. Normally I like to work with 1 track and key-switch between articulations using expression maps but I still like to keep a “1 track per articulation” version just in case what I’m working on benefits from that workflow.

So my question is:
Would it be possible to select the “Piccolo CW” track then trigger a PLE/Macro command that will unhide the “Piccolo CW *Arts” folder?

The only way I could think of doing this would be make a PLE/Macro that unhides the folder directly beneath the selected track, but I have absolutely no idea how I would go about setting that up. If it’s even possible.

I would rather not have to set up specific buttons to unhide all these seperate articulation folders in lemur because there’s literally 100’s of them. It would be so much simpler if I could set up a single button that would unhide the *Arts folder of whatever track I’ve selected.

Any help you can give me is greatly appreciated.
Thank you for your time.

It sounds like you’re saying you want to unhide a specific folder (or track), based what track is selected at the moment, correct?

Macros are simply commands executed one after the other, just as a human would do. So the question to ask is, “What sequence of commands available in the Key Commands dialog, do the thing you want to do?”

The PLE doesn’t use variables, so there is no way to insert a value based on another value, e.g., a track name, and the PLE doesn’t see routing. So you can’t have a command that does something like- "when track with name x is selected, unhide track with name x1.

OK, maybe I could have worded my question better.
Please let me address some of your points.

1. Yes, that’s exactly what I’m saying.

2. Yeah, I’m pretty sure I know what a Macro is mate. What I was asking was along the lines of is there a Macro I could make that contains several different PLE commands/keyboard shortcuts/etc that could do what I’m trying to do.

I’m going to assume that it’s not possible and find another solution.
Thanks for your time.

Hey- I didn’t mean to condescend- what I meant was that it might be possible. And the bit about no variables in the PLE was meant to indicate what the scope of that tool is, so you don’t waste time looking for something that’s not there.

What I was thinking might be in the ballpark is something like,
opening the left zone,
switching to the Visibility tab,
setting the focus to a track in the visibility list
hitting the down arrow key
hitting Enter, to activate the check box and unhide the folder (which is just below the selected track.)

But- it might take a bit of experimentation to get a macro that works reliably.

Hey -steve-

No worries mate, I didn’t think you were being condescending. You were just answering the question that I asked and perhaps I should have been more clear with what I ment. But It’s all good.

Yeah I knew that the PLE doesn’t use variables or can see routing so a single command won’t work that’s why I thought that maybe a series of smaller PLE commands in a Macro could do the trick. But everything I’ve tried so far has not been working.

Mega thanks for your suggestion, I haven’t tried that yet so I’ll definitely do some experimenting with it.

I’m not going to give up just yet and if I can’t crack this problem I’ve still got other options to make this workable.

Hey -steve-

I’ve been trying out your suggestion but it’s not really working for me. I mean yeah obviously it does work as in it basically does what I want but it’s too many mouse clicks/button pushes for me. I’d like to automate the process as much as possible and ideally make 1 button on my touch screen that would do it all. Unfortunately most of the steps you listed are not triggerable by a Macro.

I think I’m probably asking too much here and what I want just isn’t possible, at least with the current version of Cubase. Maybe in future versions the PLE will grow to allow automation of all available Cubase functions.

Thank you for all your help, I really appreciate it.