Is This Original?

Here is a 30-second sketch of a new piece I am writing. Can you please let me know if this melody already exists? I always have a horror of accidentally copying another piece of music. If this is similar to something else, that’s OK. If it’s the same, I will stop working on it. Thanks.

1 Like

To my ears there is a slight resemblance to the “Overture to the Isles of Fingal” by Mendelssohn, but it’s not a copy of a melody, rather of the mood and possibly the key.
At the end of your sketch there is a little quotation of Mahler’s 6th symphony, which is nice :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you! Just before I read this, I thought of “Fingal’s Cave.” The funny thing is that when I wrote this on the piano, it didn’t sound like “The Hebrides,” but transcribing the piano part to the cellos gave it that feel. :slightly_smiling_face:

I really appreciate the help.

1 Like

I think it is a lovely melody. You know, with only 12 notes available to us as western composers at any one moment (most of the time, only 7 notes if the piece is diatonic), every melody is going to sound like some other melody(s) in one way or another, but what is important is what we do with that melody, and how we put our own personal stamp upon it. Also, most of the time, the resemblance only persists for a few notes and then disappears as the melody develops.

Mike

1 Like

@MikeInBoston , Thanks very much! I am slways worried about “accidental plagiarism.” :sunglasses:

The last piece I posted here (“The Silos”) was one I didn’t worry about: it’s too weird to be a copy!–although a Symphony guy here who edits my scores said it reminded him of Stavinksy. :cowboy_hat_face: I took that as a compliment.

1 Like

I agree and have listened to some of your works on YT (incl. Silos, Elf), wonderful and with so many ‘facets’! :clap: :+1:

1 Like

Thank you, Tilman!

1 Like