Is This Possible?

I have a UR-22. Works great with Windows, but not at all in Linux. I have thought of a possible way to get around that. Basically, using it as a through, between my old computer and my speakers. The computer has onboard sound, and also my Audiophile 2496 card. So, what if I hook up lines from my the 2496 and run them into the microphone inputs on the Ur-22? Basically, inputting the audio from the 2496 to the UR-22, which will pass it on to the speakers.

I thought I should get some feedback before actually trying this, as it could have disastrous consequences.

Thank You, Michael

Well, I went ahead and tried it, after realizing nothing bad would happen. I have sound, but only in mono. So here’s the setup: I ran lines from the analog output of my 2496 to the mic inputs (1-2) of the Ur22. From there, lines connect to my speaker setup, which consists of M-audio studio monitors, hooked in to a Mackie sub. Again, I have sound but not in stereo. I am adjusting various controls with Linux tools, but still only get mono. I should point out that I am using Zorin, not Ubuntu. I see there is another thread about the UR22 with Ubuntu, with some success reported. But Zorin is an offshoot of Ubuntu.

So, this plan essentially works. The UR22 is being used as a through device from my 2496 soundcard to my speakers, but just not in stereo. I don’t know if this is as good as it gets, or if there is some way to transmit the sound in stereo.

I am only looking to have decent sound for listening on this computer. I use another Windows machine for music creation. But I would do it in Linux if I could. Basically, I’m in the process of weaning myself from Windows, due to Microsoft’s increasingly intrusive behavior, in trying to force everyone on W7 to W10.

I decided to install Ubuntu to see if it does work out of the box. It does! Now to see if I can get it to work in Zorin. In any case, this thread can be closed.