Isolating a single note

let’s say that I have a midi drum track which is spread over many bars (which I have :smiley: ), and I want to globally adjust one note, let’s say a cymbal, so that I can adjust the volume of just that one thing.

Ideally, I would like to be able to apply a percentage reduction/increase, but would be happy with a generic change.

Thanks,

Paul

I use the transformer for doing stuff like this.

It’s a really powerful logical editor.

James

Select all occurrencies of the note by ctrl-clicking the corresponding key on the piano roll in the key editor/in place editor. Then go to MIDI menu->functions->velocity. There you have both compress/expand and fixed value. You can also set a fixed value or increase/decrease (scroll up/down or alt-click and hold over the value) the velocity directly in the info line.
/A

Aloha Z,

let’s say that I have a midi drum track which is spread over many bars (which I have), and I want to globally adjust one note, let’s say a cymbal, so that I can adjust the volume of just that one thing.

Let’s say we are dealing with a crash cymbal which is too loud over many bars.
1-Open the MIDI track

2-In the piano keyboard (left side of the screen) touch the key that is the offending cymbal note (example C#) while at the same time
holding down the command key. (mac). (might be control key on pcs)

At this point all the C#s in the song will be highlighted.

3-Now open the ‘Velocity’ dlog/box and you can adjust all the selected cymbal notes
in many ways; including by percentage etc.

HTH
{‘-’}

oops T chimed in while I was posting. ma bad.

One other thing to consider,

In the case of a MIDI track you might want to consider using the
‘Dissolve’ function.

By using Dissolve, every instrument in the track (kik,snare closed hat,open hat etc)
gets its own vsti and its own rail in the mixer.

At that point you can group tracks so you can turn (for example)
all cymbals or all toms etc up/down.

Or do things like, add reverb,eq,fx to the snare and toms but not the the kik and cymbals etc.

Of course you can change velocity in the MIDI track itself but be careful because
different velocities can change the sample sound.

IMHO
it is better to get the sound you want first and then change volume (fx. eq etc) levels in the mixer.

HTH
{‘-’}