ISP metering

I have a question about the meter with true peak analyzer mode on,
suppose I have a wave file that peaks +1.2 db true peak at some point, that’s what the off line analysis tells me.
Now I play back the file around that point and the meter shows a value much lower , which is +0.07, thus nowhere near the +1.2 that the analysis tells me.
I have no plugins loaded, no dither, master levels are at 0db. Shouldn’t the meter tell me the same exact value ?
What am I missing ?

Thanks!
M

This should be the same values. Here this works properly.
Now, are you sure the True Peak mode is activated? The setting is different for the Master Section and the Standalone level meter.

Also, when you say “I play back the file around that point and the meter shows a value much lower”
How can you know for sure the region? You should rather play the whole file, to have a reliable result.

Ok I selected a small portion of the wave file and played it back and also analyzed off line it for peaks and now the values match.
I think I got confused by the fact that when clicking on the field where you can read the max peak value I believed the cursor would jump exactly on that point of the waveform. But it’s not the case. As you can see in the pic here below :

Max true peak detected is +0.2584 on the left channel, I clicked on that field and the cursor jumped on that position all the way left of the screen.
I playback around there but the meter reads only +0.03… What’s the use then ?

Thanks as usual for help!
M

I got confused by the fact that when clicking on the field where you can read the max peak value I believed the cursor would jump exactly on that point of the waveform

This is the case. I can’t see the cursor on your picture.
Moreover, any peak you may see at the “cursor” is a digital peak, not a “true peak”, as this one is the result of a computation of the surrounding clicks.

Note that when you play, the plugins, if any, are taken into account. Which is not the case with the Global Analysis Function.

“Note that when you play, the plugins, if any, are taken into account. Which is not the case with the Global Analysis Function.”

Yes that makes perfect sense. Thanks again.
M