ISRC code in Broadcast .wav

You can create montages with hi resolution files. What do you mean?

Of course. What I mean is that I’ve always put the ISRC codes in the CD window, thus only for 4416 files.

You can do that already. There is this BWF tag issue that will be fixed, but apart that, this is possible.

How ? The metadata edit window for BWAV does not have an ISRC field. That’s why I asked, in a previous post where should I put it ?

sm_studio, you can use CD Track markers and ISRCs in a 96k montage just like in a 44.1. That’s the easiest way to do this if you already have a 96k montage. Put in the CD track markers and all of the ISRCs (using the wizard or manually), and then render individual 96k files from that montage using the selection Regions/CD Tracks, and using the ISRC factory preset in the file format metadata section in the render dialog. That’s the easy way to do this and get the right ISRC into each of the individual rendered files.

If you want to add the ISRC directly to an existing audio file instead, open the audio file, go to the metadata tab, and select the ISRC factory preset at the bottom. Then go to the AXML tab. In that block of text is an ISRC variable: @ISRC@. Replace that whole variable “@ISRC@” (including the @) with your real ISRC code. Only remove the part that says @ISRC@. Then go to the ID3 tab (ID3v2). Replace the whole “@ISRC@” variable there with your real ISRC code. Then save the audio file.

Just be aware that until the next Wavelab update the BWF ISRC (the AXML part of this) will not be totally compatible with some other programs.

Is this working properly now in Wavelab 8.5.30 ?

Thanks.

Yes, it was working properly last time I checked. You can check by making a WAV file in Wavelab using the ISRC metadata factory preset and then opening the WAV file in Sonoris ISRC editor.

AFAIK there still is no official requirement, request or use for this yet though. ID3 ISRC probably gets more unofficial use. But it doesn’t hurt to put in both. I think Jperkinski had a useful metadata preset that included both types of ISRC and included a lot of other useful stuff. Would be nice to have a factory preset more like that.

Here’s that preset Bob mentioned:

It takes the following info from the CD-Text section and other areas wand embeds into metadata info for rendered WAV/mp3/AAC files:

Artist (album & track)
Album Title
Song Title
Track Number/Track Total
ISRC codes
Year

It also embeds ISRC codes into the AXML area to support the new proposed standard for embedding ISRC into WAV files. Last I checked, the Sonoris ISRC Editor will strip all other metadata if you use it to write the ISRC codes. So, I write the ISRC codes using WaveLab from the montage when I render files, and only use the Sonoris ISRC Editor to verify codes if needed.

Here’s the text that goes directly in the AXML field of WaveLab incase you don’t want to use the entire preset:

<ebucore:ebuCoreMain xmlns:dc=" DCMI: DCMI Metadata Terms"
xmlns:ebucore=“urn:ebu:metadata-schema:ebuCore_2012”>
ebucore:coreMetadata
<ebucore:identifier typeLabel=“GUID” typeDefinition=“Globally Unique Identifier”
formatLabel=“ISRC” formatDefinition=“International Standard Recording Code”
formatLink=“http://www.ebu.ch/metadata/cs/ebu_IdentifierTypeCodeCS.xml#3.7”>
dc:identifierISRC:@ISRC@</dc:identifier>
</ebucore:identifier>
</ebucore:coreMetadata>
</ebucore:ebuCoreMain>

Could someone help me to understand the practical application for this?

iTunes Producer, for example, will not read this on upload (at least the last version I had experience wouldn’t). You have to enter the ISRC manually.

If you convert to mp3 the code is not “carried over” as far as I can see.

Since the entry is editable on third party software, I struggle to identify a “security” benefit.

Is anyone getting directions from a label to enter this data (we haven’t yet)? How do you get the client to sign off on the ISRCs? Send them a report?

I do appreciate, of course, that it is nice to have this functionality because it may well develop into something that we may end up needing to do routinely.

No major practical use for this yet (for me anyway) but I do appreciate WaveLab being ahead of the curve on this. Some clients get really hung up on ISRC codes and even though I tell them they’ll have to enter the codes again manually when they set up the digital distribution and submit each master WAV file, it seems to satisfy them greatly when I tell them the master WAV files will have the ISRC code embedded. I don’t think they fully get it until they actually get to the digital distribution setup, especially first timers.

For ISRC code approval, I always send them a spreadsheet view of their ISRC codes direct from my database if I have assigned codes for them. Also, they can see the ISRC codes in the HOFA DDP Player that accompanies the master(s) I send to them which covers situations when the client provides their own ISRC codes, as well as to double check when I am the ISRC code assigner. The HOFA DDP Player (and Sonoris OEM I believe) have the ability to embed the ISRC in WAV files if the client chooses to export each “CD Track” to WAV from the HOFA (or Sonoris) DDP Player.

I would imagine someday that digital distributors might be able to read the ISRC codes right from the WAV file. Either way, it’s a nice feature and it’s nice to just simply say “yes” when the client asks if the ISRC codes are applied to the “master files”.

As far as the ISRC codes carrying over to mp3 conversions…if you use Sonnox Pro Codec, you can send all the metadata from the WAV to the encoded AAC or mp3 files with one click. I have a feature request in with Sonnox to have an option to automatically transpose this metadata when encoding. And of course, if you render mp3 or AAC from the WaveLab montage, it adds that metadata based on CD-Text (and other info) if you have the right metadata settings in the montage before rendering.

I’m sure that most or all consumer mp3 encoding software will not transpose any metadata from the source WAV to the encoded file but again, that could change in the near future.

Thanks for that …

I really do appreciate your detailed reply.

No problem. This is just my experience working mostly with bands/artists that are either self-releasing or working with mid-level to large independent record labels.

People working in broadcast or other areas could have a more legitimate use for this today.

Also, kind of off topic but I sent a client some WAV files that had metadata tagged (no ISRC codes though) and the client reported that when he played the files in Windows Media Player, that the files did not play until the end.

I’m not sure if it was the artwork or other ID2/ID3 metadata that caused the problem, but when I sent him WAV files with no metadata, the files played properly until the end.

I think it’s more of a WMP issue than anything but maybe something to be aware of when adding metadata to WAV files.

Posted a question about this recently - wondering if it might be the cause some device incompatibility, as my Cubebase LE 9.5 .wav files played fine in apps, but without sound on a Zoom H6 handheld. Curiously, if created and rendered from Wavelab LE 9.5 instead, they do play on the H6.

Any thoughts?