I have a recurring issue whenever there is any sort of update of Dorico.
It tells me to turn on the “Download Assistant”. But then gets caught in some loop where it keeps telling me to authorize it, but does nothing. There’s no button to activate authorization of any sort, just a little window with “Steinberg Download Assistant” and a big red rectangle that says “Sign In”.
Clicking on “Sign In” simply opens a new browser window with “Authorize Steinberg Download Assistant”, but nothing to click, no button, no menu, nada, zip.
I always end up having to go through the laborious task of finding the links to manually download whatever update of Dorico I’m at, then going through the whole process of updating “Library manager”, “Activation manager”, etc… and eventually Dorico itself.
I’ve seen some people point to an issue with a computer clock being off by more than a few seconds, but nothing I do with re-syncing my computer’s clock affects this problem.
now when I start Dorico it tells me that “Groove Agent” is missing, but I don’t see any place to download this item (I don’t even think it’s something I need, since I don’t write drum tracks or anything like that)
Could I ask a favour? I’m still trying to track down why Firefox is unable to launch Steinberg Download Assistant.
Could you open a file explorer window and put %APPDATA%\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles into the address bar, go into the folder that has “-release” on the end of it. There should be a file called “handlers”. Could you send it to me in a PM?
Just a comment re: Firefox and the SDA. I had no problems using the SDA (and SAM) with Firefox. Of course there may be settings or add-ons to Firefox that make various installations different; I generally keep mine pretty much “vanilla” to keep things simple.
Quite a lot of thought went into the options for authenticating a desktop application with a web-based identity system. We’re using an industry standard OAuth/OIDC auth flow in order to protect user credentials. Unfortunately, the fragility seems to be in Firefox’s handling of URL protocols, not in the mechanism itself.
With @Michel_Edward 's generous patient assistance, we managed to find and solve the problem.
The UI for managing the protocol handlers in Firefox is a little broken. You can fix it by telling Firefox to use the system default handler “net-steinberg-sda://” URLs by finding this section in the handlers.json file and ensuring it looks like this: