Issue: Cubase Freezes during start up!

Hi!

After upgrade to new MB and TB connection to my audio interfaces (see more below) Cubase freezes during start up. It seem to

Using Motu and Focusrite interfaces via Thunderbolt requires audio interfaces to be turned on prior to boot, otherwise drivers/thunderbolt connection is not established correctly in Windows.
So TB Hot Plug is not working correctly on this new MB and I have contacted ASUS regarding this!

But even if audio interfaces are turned on and initiated correctly, Cubase quite often freezes during start up. If I for example close Cubase and re-boot with interfaces turned on Cubase freezes.
I suspect it may be related to the audio drivers as I have never had any similar problems before.
On the other hand, Wavelab initiates and finds audio drivers correctly.
When trying to start Cubase 11 I get the same result, so it is not just related to Cubase 12!!

Error scenario:

• Cubase initiates OK and Hub is displayed okay but is unresponsive and I cannot select any option
    • Recent Projects highlighted but hovering over and choosing other options is not working
    • Hoovering over bottom buttons Open Other, Create Empty or Cancel gets no visual reaction (it’s usually highlighted when working OK) and not possible to select

Here are some freezedumps from yesterday:
Cubase 12.0.0.205 64bit 2022.4.10 19.34.57.136-freezedump.dmp (923.9 KB)
Cubase 12.0.0.205 64bit 2022.4.10 18.15.20.216-freezedump.dmp (945.1 KB)
Cubase 12.0.0.205 64bit 2022.4.10 18.06.57.868-freezedump.dmp (919.8 KB)

Hardware:

• ASUS Z690 Pro Art Creator MB
  • Intel i7-12700K CPU and Windows 10 (last update)
  • Motu 828ES and Focusrite Clarett 8PreX connected via 2 Thunderbolt cables to MB.
  • Using Cubase 12 (and previous version back to CB 6) and Wavelab 11

Anyone having similar issues or can give a hint on what may be the issue?

Regards
/Hackej

Hi,

Reported to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi!

Thank you.
I will hope for a solution in future release(s).

/Hackej

Hi @Hackej, please try to use “WinRT MIDI” (see screenshot). “WinRT MIDI” is using the current API for doing MIDI on Windows. Using “Windows MIDI” may cause your problems, because it is using a very old Windows API, which is known to have issues, because Microsoft doesn’t maintain it anymore. We probably can’t do anything about these freezes, because they happen within Windows.
Best regards,
Janne

1 Like

Hi!

Thanks, I’ll try that!

/Hackej

1 Like