Windows 8.1, Cubase Pro 8.0.20
- New Empty Project
- Add a MIDI Track to the Project
- Track Inspector>Expression Map>Expression Map Setup>Expression Maps Panel>click “+” to add a map
- Remote Settings>Select “Program Change Messages”
- Create an Expression Map consisting of 6 sound slots assigned to Remote 1 through 6 (no need to add any articulations or output mapping)
- Load this Expression Map
- Send Program Change 1-6 to the MIDI Track–Behaves as expected
- Sending MIDI Note Events on MIDI Note Numbers 0-5 also activates Sound Slots 1-6. MIDI Note Events for Note Numbers 0-5 are not sent from Cubase to an external MIDI instrument.
Expected Result: Creating an Expression Map with Remote Settings set to “Program Change Messages” allows sound slots to be selected using Program Change Messages. The Expression Map does not intercept MIDI Note Events and Sound Slots are not activated by MIDI Note Events.
Actual Result: Creating an Expression Map with Remote Settings set to “Program Change Messages” allows sound slots to be selected using Program Change Messages and MIDI Note Events. MIDI Note Events in the range of the Remote settings for the Expression Map are intercepted by Cubase.
Is this Steinberg’s expected behavior for Expression Maps set to receive Program Change Messages?