[ISSUE] Multi export regions with timecode

Hi,

I want to export regions to seperate files but can’t find a way to retain its original timecode, wich is essential in my case. I have about a thousand regions on one track that were made with detect silence. Its regions appear in the pool and can be exported with ‘bounce selection’. This would be a great solution if the exported clips retained its original timecode but it does not. I also tried OMF/AAF export, no luck.

What is the easiest way to multi export regions to bwf audiclips with timecode?

When you say “retain original timecode” what do you mean by “original”? Can you give an example?

I feel we’ve discussed something similar before in this forum, and I would certainly hope that it’s been addressed already since it’s a pretty important feature in today’s post-workflows.

I meant the origin timecode at which the region starts on the timeline. I attached a screendump from the pool. You can see the regions provided with timecodes in the right column. These are the regions I want to export. Again, the ‘bounce selection’ option is so close to my solution, but the timecode is not exported with it…

Ah, I see what you mean now.

I’m not sure if this is a bug or lack of a feature. Perhaps mark the thread as [ISSUE] and then also start a new thread in the “Feature Requests and Suggestions” section…

You can export audios with the “Render in Place” function. It retains the time code from each file in the project. It takes a little while but works like a charm.

Good suggestion, I will try that first. Tnx!

Works fine rbesser, thanks again!

I will post a feature request though for a ’ bounce selection’ feature with timecode. For now the render in place is a fine workaround.

@Lydiot: thanks also for your suggestions!

Carefull, unless I misunderstand you, you ar emicing up two things.

Regions are independant from what happens on the timeline. You can create a gazillion regions and never place them on the timeline. This is actually the most common use. So, in this case the regions do not have any embedded timecode, except for the “original” one, which is already part of the BWF header.

If you want to embbed the project timecode (I.e. where the regions are placed on the timeline), you will have to inject a new timecode. Therefore you will have to bounce the regions into new, individual files. Otherwise you will have a conflict between the timecode of the original file (of which the region is part) and the new timecode (placement on timeline). You can quicly do that by selecting the regions, right-click and “bounce regions to folder”. After placing them on the timeline you can then perform a “conform” (pool).

Or when you regions are already on the timeline, right-click on them and perform “bounce” and then “conform”.

HTH
Fredo

Thanks for the info Fredo. I can’t find the option “bounce regions to folder”, only “bounce selection” which I tried before. Please tell me where to find the ‘bounce regions to folder’ command in Nuendo 7.

In my case, the regions are already on the timeline since they were created with Detect Silence. So they appear in the pool with origin timecode (take a look at the picture I posted earlier). The bounce selection command does not apply timecode to the files though.

When I right-click “bounce selection” from the timeline only one big clip is made…

See screenshot.

Since your regions already are in the timeline, you will have to use a workaround.
As been suggested, the render in place is the feature that is especially made for this.

Other than that, you cna bounce your regions to a nwe folder, but those won’t have the timecode embedded from your project. As said, the regions belong to one file, which already has it’s own timecode.
So you would have to bouce your regions before putting the newly created files into your timeline.
Then you can perform a “conform”, so the timeline timecode is inserted.

Third option is to bounce each file individually, and then perform a “conform”.

But your goto feature is render in place.

Fredo

Thanks again, render in place is a good workaround so I’m happy with that. I think it’s a bit pitty though that it doesn’t work with regions in the pool since these have timecode and were given proper names already (with detect silence). To me this would be a much more natural workflow. So I think I will rephrase the feature request I posted yesterday. Agree?

Well no.
A region is a region within a file. These are not individual files.
An individual file only has one header, and thereby only one timecode reference.
A region is a … euh … region within that single file, and it has absolutely no reference to where these regions are placed within the timeline. Two different things.

Fredo

I understand the phenomenon regions so one last effort Fredo and then I will rest my case. Take a look at the screendump. One audiofile with lots of regions, all with timecode references. How hard can it be to bounce these as separate files with the displayed timecode? That would be my wish :slight_smile:

The timecode reference which is written in the BWAV header is “origin time”.
As you can see from your screenshot the “origin time” next to each file, is the origin time of the original recording , not the place where that region is to be found in your DAW.

Fredo