[ISSUE] NUENDO 6.0.3: REALTIME MIXDOWN LOUDER?

I spent all morning seeing if I was missing something and came up with nothin’. This is a big deal for those of us who have to hit a certain spec for our deliverables.

In all honesty, I’ve never exported and monitored at the same time. Or if I have, I’ve dimmed my monitors.

For me the spec measurement is happening either when I print, so there’s no monitoring issue (and it’s realtime just like the export monitor), or after the file is completed I will drop into Dolby MM and run a faster than realtime measurement at that point.

What spec is dependent upon the volume that you’re listening to on export? I totally get that it’s disconcerting that the output monitoring volume changes from when you’re mixing and when you’re bouncing - this should work correctly. I’m more curious what measurements are being taken during the realtime export that is being monitored? SPL?

Personally, I think we all should get used to initial software releases being buggy - they always have been, and I think they always will be especially with the demand for bigger and better things. I’m running N6.0.3 on 10.7.4 in 64-bit, but have my N5.5/10.6.8 32-bit partition ready to go.

I’m not defending Steiny, but I certainly think we, as Nuendo users, have far more ears on what we’re asking for/what needs to be fixed than other communities. Feels like we users play a bigger role in the R+D for the next versions, and that has much value to me.

Cheers all -

kp

Some people will have metering on the main output. They may or may not use Control Room. So anyone who is checking the playback/render is going to have all levels all off. And I expect it’d be a rude awakening if you mix everything, take a break during which you “reset” your ears and “lose perspective”, then come back and everything seems way loud. What do you do at that point? You have to stop and investigate. Wasted time.

Why are you talking about “initial releases”? This is 6.0.3.

I think it’s not only reasonable to expect each update to improve upon the previous version by fixing bugs, but I think it’s fair to get a comment when crap breaks during an update!

What does this tell us about QC?

Break a key-command: I can work around it. It’d be annoying and would slow me down, but it’s just a key command. Monitoring and levels should NEVER be messed with. EVER!

I think it is sad that this get’s through the last QC test.

But let’s try to find the problem.
To temporarily test with clean prefs, hold down shift-alt-cmd (OSX) or shif-ctrl-alt (Windows) to get a menu allowing you to start N6 with clean prefs (one time only).

Let’s check if this +6dB on realtime mixdown listen volume problem still is there.

Also check project setup (shift+s) to see if you use the new +12dB faders or the old +6dB faders.

Pål

I understand the idea of losing perspective in that way, I just haven’t been subject to it as I neither monitor nor measure exports in this manner. But I think I see what you’re saying. Instead of asking them to fix the fader, why not just get rid of it completely so that it’s nulled? Is there a need for it? A bypass box to click?

In regards to 6.0.3 - I was referring to Nuendo 6.0.x as being the initial release with later versions (6.1 and forward) to be the versions we should really consider the first “stable” versions. That’s why I’m talking about initial releases. I don’t think it’s right, but I think that’s probably the reality moving forward. Perhaps I’m mistaken - I do not write software.

We can all assume even Steinberg doesn’t believe that monitoring levels should be messed with and wouldn’t release it this way if they knew of it. I would hope, and I believe we will, hear about a fixer update that will address this problem specifically. I would hope, even more so, that we hear from Steinberg on the plan, and that you all receive a response, which hopefully they are strategizing for right now. STRATEGERY!

Cheers all.

kp

And yes, upon testing it is happening here too. Very strange. More strange is that when I am exporting in realtime and I hit my key for “return to L marker” on my MC Pro, the cursor, WHILE EXPORTING, goes back to the L marker. I haven’t the time right now to see if/how this affects the final output - ie., will the export follow the cursor if I keep on sending it back during the realtime export? Good god.

Try clearing your mixpresets (alt click somewhere on control room, can’t remember where right now) and also resaving your Studio presets in the VST connections Studio panel, and see if it works.

rsp

I actually disagree with you. It’s not about a version number but an amount of time having passed since the release, as well as updates. The number, 6.0.2, tells me that Cubase was sequencer version x.0.0. They then worked on Nuendo, waited, got feedback on Cubase, fixed things, and our “first release” was certainly not the first incarnation of the sequencer. So when we get our first update it’s been in the works for quite some time.

Like I said, minor things in initial releases are the way things are. I don’t like it, but “whatever”, as long as it’s fixed. Breaking something on an update however is a sign that something is wrong. And btw; they did exactly the same thing on a 5.x release where .aaf import stopped working the way it had before. And as far as I know they’ve neither fixed it or proposed a solution to it.

I like your optimism, but I don’t think history warrants it. They’ve had days to look into this, and even if they haven’t figured out the problem they could have popped in here and said “Oh, this looks like an issue, we’re looking into it.”. As another example look at the difference in software between those who got boxed versions and those who downloaded. Same build number but different software. No comment.

Just like here. No comment.

I can’t see how anyone would blow thousands on a Nuage system when there’s no communication at all on the software that’s supposed to drive the hardware.

Just met this bug. Its ugly, distracting and totally unacceptable.

Steinberg- Please fix this asap.

Went back to 6.0.2…all is working as expected. So it seems this is a 6.0.3 bug.

Hello,

I can confirm this issue. It will be fixed in the upcoming Nuendo 6.0.4 update.

Thanks,
Timo

Great! Thanks Timo.

Workaround until 6.04.

I found that the Audition Volume on the Export window is directly controlling the Signal Level in the Control Room.
If you drop the Signal Level to -6 db before you export the level will be identical to the normal playback level and your external meters should read correctly.

Has this issue been resolved now Timo?

In the release notes under resolved issues it reads:

• The control room output level is no longer increased by +2 dB.

That however does NOT specify “realtime mixdown” - but is that what it meant?

yes it has.
rsp