Issue Playing Quartertone with External Synth

Hi Everyone,

I am working on a project where I have a melody that includes ( E, Eb and E 1/4 flat) that is played on my Yamaha PSR-A3000 keyboard. Unfortunately, I tried to bend 1/4 flat on E in the controller lane, but it effect all melody notes before and after!

Unfortunately defining 13-scale using Scala does not work here. Any workarounds would be greatly appreciated.

CS

Hi,

Make sure the PitchBend is set to 0 before. Then create the Pitch Bend Node at the position, where you want to modify it.

Correct. I just did and works for a single altered note. However, I have many more of these to do for several other notes and few other instruments in my composition. If I want to do it this way, it seems quite tedius. Two new issues arises when I do it this way,

Cubase allows us to do Pitch bend in two ways ( let me know if there are other ways please!)

In controller lane is between -8191 and 8191, So, to bend a quarter tone, bend it up and down 8191/4 = 2048. But now, it is hard in the controller lane of Key Editor drag the automation points exactly to 2048! I guess then only way would be to use list editor that has another issue! But again the pitch bend value range in list editor is not consistent with controller lane range.
The list editor only holds Data 1 and Data2 is dimmed. The range is from 0 to 16383 with middle = 8191 equal to no pitch bend. Thus to pitch bend ¼ up ( 1/4 sharp) set data1 in list editor to 10,239.38 or simply 10240. Likewise to bend 1/4 of a whole tone up, we need to set 6144.

This is quite a tedious job if you have hundreds of such notes. I assume since the pitch bend messages are not attached to notes, we cannot use note expressions here. Plus, any pitch bend modification should be done per channel basis.

Any workarounds to make this job easier would be greatly appreciated.

PS. I wish the Logic editor could hold variables. Otherwise, we could write a preset to bend a quarter tone upward, as follows to

for each note X with value equal F:    # or selected F notes
    # here we need the LE preset to hold two values a and b
    let a and b be starting and ending time of X respectively: 
        issue a pitch blend value of 10239 at time a
        issue a pitch bend value of 8191 at time b

Very simple problem, all can be done in the LE.

Select all notes and add a Note Expression Pitch Bend at 64.

Now select the quarter tone notes by whatever method, and setting the property to Event Inside NoteExp, set the value to what you want it to be.

Hi Steve,

Thank you again for the help. It seems my presets don’t work. I do appreciate it if you could help me what I am doing wrong.

Here is my preset to select all notes and add a Note Expression Pitch Bend at 64.

Also the preset for setting the property to Event Inside NoteExp, set the value to 80 to increase the pitch by 1/4 tone.

Thank you very much again,

CS

Hi Steve,

I do appreciate it if you take a look at my presets.

Now select the quarter tone notes by whatever method, and setting the property to > Event Inside NoteExp, > set the value to what you want it to be.

Steve,

I got first preset working ( to add note expression to each note). For the second LE preset I don’t know what values I should set for value 1 (lsb) and value 2 (msb). here is my preset:
Fitler section:
Type Is Equal Pitch Bend AND
Property Property is set Event Inside NoteExp

In the target section:
Value 1 add ???
Value 2 add ???

I set value 1 and 2 to (0,16), (0,32), etc. None of them works.

I added a video of playing my cubase project on youtube. I hope that clarifies my issues further.

I do greatly appreciate it if you could help me with that.

By the way, is that possible to map this LE’s function transform in Note Expression map? It doesn’t seem possible.

Hi Steve,

It seems the note expression editor ( small little window that looks like a white board!!!), has two horizontal line one for value 1 and one for value 2. When you say add a Note expression Pitch Bend at 64! What are the values for value 1 and value 2?

My preset for this is:
Filter: Type Equals Note
Action: NoteExp Operation Create One-Shot Pitchbend
function: Transform.

Does this add a note expression pitch at 64? I think you mean pitchbend with value 2 = 64.

Thank you,
CS

The order of the commands and filters matter. Flip what you have in the upper pane.

• The LE does 0 to 127, and it is proportional to the larger values available for PB, so 64=0 bend.

• The PB param in Note Expression requires one value only, Value 2. There is only one line in PB Note Expression and it shows the total value (result) of the param.

btw, the fineness of your control depends on how big the PB limit value is on your synth. Value 1 will give you finer control, but there are 128 divisions to a whole tone anyway,

I have used this and other means a lot to make microtonal music.

Thank you for your time, Steve.
I guess I am getting there. Would you please tell me for which preset I need to flip the upper pane ( I assume you mean the filter section)? Do you mean the second preset I should have it like this?

But then, the result is the same. What am I missing please?

Is it

?

I am not sure, what you are asking me to do. It seems no matter what I do following your process it does not work. Here is what I am doing:

1. Select all notes ( say by mouse)
  2. Apply LE preset below to attach ExpNote for PB to each note as follows:
  3. Deselet all notes and selet only the ones I want to increase their pitch by a quarter:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I do appreciate it if you could please send me screenshot of your LE and the steps.

I am not sure, what you are asking me to do. It seems no matter what I do following your process it does not work. Here the steps:

1. Select all notes ( say by mouse)
  2. Apply LE preset below to attach ExpNote for PB to each note as follows:
  3. Deselet all notes and selcet only the ones I want to increase their pitch by a quarter:

Please correct me if I am wrong. I do appreciate it if you could please send me screenshot of your LE and the steps.