[ISSUE] RX3 Denoiser insert not = applied offline

Using Izotope RX3 DENOISER as an insert effect will yield different results than applying the effect offline. Issue will occur on 32 or 64bit versions of Nuendo as confirmed by other user.

1. Create empty project
  2. Import wave FILE
  3. Duplicate track (mute track 2)
  4. Add RX3 DENOISER to track 1 as insert
  5. Tweak settings in RX3 DENOISER to taste
  6. Save settings as preset within RX3 DENOISER
  7. Unmute track 2
  8. Apply the RX3 DENOISER to wave file on track 2. Use the same setting saved in previous step
  9. Reverse phase of track 1
  10. Hit PLAY
    -> result = difference (i.e. not silence)

If gain is added (i.e. 10db) using volume handles the difference is greater (or louder, i.e. easier to hear). Examples below:

Original
https://db.tt/VDsrlOEX

RX3 DENOISER as insert
https://db.tt/YfAjSwWP

RX3 DENOISER applied offline
https://db.tt/f3jOcWnG

Null of Insert & Applied NR
https://db.tt/26BTv5iv

System info: Intel i7, 24GB, Nuendo 6.06, Windows 7, Izotope RX3 Denoiser

Please advise…

Not sure if this is the reason or not…
But I believe when running as an insert the only RX2 algorithm available is type “A”. However when running offline you can use algorithm’s A,B,C or D.

I realize you are specifically using RX3 but thought I’d mention this in case it helps you research the issue.

Cheers.

Hi wavcatcher,

Thanks for your response. Unfortunately, this is not the issue as the results are the same regardless of the algorithm used. This is particularly upsetting as you would expect the ‘extreme’ (i.e. best) D algorithm to perform better applied than in real-time.

Not so! You can run whatever your computer can handle. I often use one of the higher quality settings in realtime-- more in RX3 than I did In RX2. You don’t even get a warning anymore!

And on the original topic-- I’ve noticed the difference between offline and realtime processing as well, plus the difference, using the same presets, between within Nuendo and RX3 standalone.

However, though confusing, it doesn’t really bother me. I am using offline and online processes for different objectives, and the settings are generally made to suit the specific task at hand, so it’s not a big deal, as long as the noise profiles still work.

Chewy

HI Chewy Papadopoulos,

Thank you for confirming.

I have to completely disagree with you about this issue not being “a big deal”. What’s the point of having an offline render feature if you cannot expect your applied effects to perform as they would when they are playing real-time? What do I base my settings on? Plus, there’s no way for me to run an instance of RX3 Denoiser for every different noise profile that I would need to mitigate the variety of noise issues a production will encounter, per character. That’s just ridiculously convoluted and defies the purpose of the advances made in DAW design. Sorry, but it seems a basic feature for a DAW to ensure the integrity of a plugin’s output.

Just to be clear, this is not a criticism of Steinberg, they can’t possibly be expected to anticipate every issue that will manifest itself with every iteration of their software. But once brought to their attention, it should be addressed ASAP. After all, I don’t find it unreasonable to expect $2000 software to perform basic functions on par with software costing $40, i.e. Reaper.

And yes, I reproduced the steps above in Reaper.
-> result = dead silence.

I didn’t say it wasn’t a big deal, in general… just that it wasn’t for me! Difference not subtle!

I use offline and online processes for completely different applications, and generally set them individually. So, an “online” process typically doesn’t bear any relationship to an offline process, preset-wise… for ME.

The difference appears to be mainly in the reduction level; noise profiles work fine. Since I’m adjusting to taste anyway, no big deal.

Chewy

The above issue also applies to Zynaptique Unveil. Raising or lowering the reduction level, as per the post above, does not resolve the problem.

Could someone from Steinberg please comment? It is tedious to have to record instances of RX3 Denoiser/Zynaptique Unveil use onto a new track every time.