Issue with a Logical Editor Preset to Select Highest note of a chord

Hi,

I read the thread about Logical Editor, Select Top Notes In Chord: Steinberg Forums

I defined a new LE preset as follows:

//////Line 1
(
Position
Inside Bar Range
[max]
{select the entire bar range}
AND
/// line 2
Context Variable
Equal
Number of notes in the chord
4 // as they are all 4-note chords Perfectly sync with each other ( dropped notes from chord track).
AND
//////Line 3
Context Variable
Bigger or Equal
Note Number in Chord
2 //This selects the third note within a chord
)
function:= select

When I apply this to a midi track consisting of power chords dragged from Chord track each with exactly 4 notes. But the preset does not select note!

What am I doing wrong please?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Here is the preset I use to select the top (4th lowest) note in a chord. It’s much simpler than yours (not quite sure what all you’ve got going on there). Since Cubase counts chord position lowest to highest starting with 0 - just change the Parameter 2 setting to 0 through 2 to create presets for the other positions.

Thank you, Raino. The reason I am doing that way, because I want to use the DNF (Disjunctive normal form - Wikipedia). Unfortunately cubase LE doesn’t allow us to have a variable in preset. So my preset in the upper pane would look like the DNF format:

(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =10 AND note number = 9) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =9 AND note number = 8) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =8 AND note number = 7) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =7 AND note number = 6) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =6 AND note number = 5) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =5 AND note number = 4) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =4 AND note number = 3) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =3 AND note number = 2) OR
(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =2 AND note number = 1)

Now we can refactor it as follows:

(type is Note) AND
( no of note in Chord =10 AND note number = 9) OR
(no of note in Chord =9 AND note number = 8) OR
(no of note in Chord =8 AND note number = 7) OR
(no of note in Chord =7 AND note number = 6) OR
(no of note in Chord =6 AND note number = 5) OR
(no of note in Chord =5 AND note number = 4) OR
no of note in Chord =4 AND note number = 3) OR
(no of note in Chord =3 AND note number = 2) OR
(no of note in Chord =2 AND note number = 1)

These will select the highest note regardless of the number of the notes in the chord from 2 to 10! Don’t you think they should work? But neither of them work on my end.

PS. If variable say X was introduce in LE, would could have done above preset in one line as follows:

(type is Note AND no of note in Chord =X AND note number = X-1 AND X in range 1 to 1000). It would simplify many other LE presets. But I guess the programmers are afraid of LE throwing lost of Exceptions that need to be handled

that otherwise, they cause Cubase to crash right away.

Can you post a screenshot of the actual preset, kind of hard to sort out a problem without seeing the real thing.

I wonder if removing the line about the number notes in the chord being 2 might help. Cubase only sees 3 or more notes as a chord.