Issue with Expression Maps in Cubase

Hello everybody !

I just had a curious issue in Cubase. I downloaded the corresponding expression maps to the Spitfire Symphonic Brass library, but for a reason I cannot figure out, the resulting articulations are not matching even if the names of the articulations are in place.

I recorded a short video to illustrate the issue :

When i’m selecting staccato it actually adds a mute to the horn…

Thx for your help !

The connection isn’t made by names.

In your configuration it is made by Midi CC values for Controller 32.

Assuming I caught the split second in your video correctly, Staccato seems to send a value of 40 on Controller 32.

However I couldn’t tell from your video what controller value range the Spitfire Symphonic Brass library expects for Staccato.

I’m assuming you need to remap the Control Change messages in your Cubase Expression Map to match what the Spitfire Symphonic Brass library expects.

1 Like

Hello !!

I corrected the controller values for my expression maps so that they match what is indicated in the Spitfire Symphonic Brass PDF manual, but weirdly enough, the resulting articulations while choosing with the expression maps in the piano roll doesn’t match what I configured !

Video illustration :

Thx in advance !

I can’t help specifically and Spitfire stuff can be tricky, but I did notice in the first video were out, though I can’t see the detail. Sound slot orders did not reflect the Articulation list. Whilst this will still work it leads to confusions. The order that shows in the key editor is the order in the Articulations pane. I like to have my sound slots in the same order. I always religiously check in the Settings in the Output panel as these are the signals sent to the VST. Often that is the cause of errors. I also try to keep the Remote keys (which you had not yet set) in line with the Output maps, as otherwise there is more scope for confusion. Expression maps are fickle.

1 Like

In your video you’re not showing the settings for everything you end up playing, so that makes it difficult to follow.

I also wonder if all of the articulations in the manual are available for the chosen instrument. I don’t have it, so I can’t check, but I know from another Spitfire library, that not all potential articulations are available in every instrument.

If you’re still stuck , you may also want to check in another forum – like vi-control.net – where there’s more orchestral composers, because I’m not sure if this is more of a Cubase question or more of a Spitfire library question.