Issue with FlowTitle token on inserted master pages

Hi, I’m hoping this problem isn’t too tricky to sort out—I’m still trying to wrap my head around master pages, tokens, etc. so please bear with me.

I have a set of songs in one project, each as a separate flow. So far, so good. Now I want to insert a new page before every song with the textual information, mainly to show the text of the poem being set. I made a new Master Page called “Poem Text” and wanted to use the {@flowtitle@} token as the header for the page, since this would (I hope) show the name of the song above the poem. However, it seems that, once the master page change has been inserted before the songs, Dorico doesn’t know what to do with the token (it just displays as the token, not the actual flow title). I’m guessing this is something to do with the fact that my inserted master page change doesn’t technically “belong” to any flow, but I’m not sure how to go about fixing this. Any help is appreciated.

If a page doesn’t contain any music, Dorico can’t turn tokens into useful text.

Use {@flowTitle@} in your master page, then make doubly sure you’re happy with the way the master page is laid out. Then on the individual pages, double-click the tokens and add the relevant flow number in the middle of each one: change {@flowTitle@} to {@flow1Title@}
Bear in mind that each time you’re doing this, you’re adding an override to the individual page, meaning that if you later alter the Master Page your individual page won’t update.

Clear as mud?

Yes, and thank you. That’s sort of what I figured by tinkering around for a bit. Since the text frame layout has to be slightly different for each poem, anyway, using the overrides is no big issue.

Just got bit by this as well, and was about to start a new post. This is actually awful. I need to create full page dialog inserts. Having to rename the token to get the flow name means even more grief if I have to reorder the flows.

Flows have such great potential, but the inability to reorder them without serious formatting grief makes them rather pointless for anything that is being actively developed (like a new musical).

If you create a Custom Page Template for these dialogue pages, you can assign them to whichever position you wish. Sure, it’s not ideal, but it can work.