Issue with Setup mode

I’ve imported an orchestral score from Finale via MusicXML. The import automatically consigned string parts to single player. The setup also automatically moved the string parts to the top of the score. I set about replacing the single string parts by adding section players for each and copying the data over. On trying to move the string parts to their rightful place at the bottom of the score (a few other players were in the wrong place from the import), I noticed that each time I added a player, the instrument list would re-align to the same incorrect configuration. It feels like I’ve either imported a buggy file or there is a new Dorico feature (:slight_smile: ) Wondering if anyone has experience with this issue.

The easiest way to change Single Players to Section Players is described here:

It’s also possible to edit the XML file in advance. I’ll see if I can fish out the details.

Dorico automatically sorts the Player list. See the icon with the down arrow? Hold it, and you get this:


Can you describe how the order is wrong?

Thanks for your response.
Just now I clicked on that Sort Players button for the first time. The tick was on orchestral, but upon release, the order again reverted to the following:
Flute 3
Violin 2
Violin 1
Percussion 3
Percussion 2
Flute 1
Flute 2
Oboe 1
Oboe 2
Cor Anglais
Clarinet 1
Clarinet 2
Bassoon 1
Contra Bassoon
Bassoon 2
Horns 1&2
Horns 3&4
Trumpet 1
Trumpet 2
Trumpet 3
Trombone 1
Trombone 2
Percussion 1
Bass Clarinet
Bass Trombone
which as you will notice is a very odd arrangement. The original Finale file had standard groupings.

When Dorico can’t identify an instrument correctly it defaults to Flute. You should Change Instrument on the instruments held by those first few players; then you should find they move correctly to the percussion and string sections at the bottom.

The strings are the new section instruments. I’ve tried re-establishing their identity via Change instrument but they revert to the top of the score. I must be noted that all the strings have 2 or more staves per section.
The Bass Clarinet and Bass Trombone have gone to their correct places after using Change instrument. I guess being just one stave it was a simpler process.
As for the 2 percussion parts, they don’t permit alteration as the Change instrument selection is greyed out.
So now list looks like:
Percussion 3
Percussion 2
Violin 2
Violin 1
Flute 1
Flute 2
Flute 3
from then on it is now standard.

There’s a limitation on changing instrument for instruments that have multiple staves. You’ll likely want to create new string players and cut and paste their material across (which is easy in Galley View with Edit > Select to End of Flow), then delete the old players.

I’m not sure what’s going on with the Percussion players without seeing the file, but it really does look as though either Finale or Dorico has done a poor job of mapping instruments correctly.

1 Like

I’ve come back to working on this file and found so many anomalies that I sought out some workarounds. What I’ve ended up doing is Export XML from Finale for EACH instrument, brought each one in turn into Dorico then imported each instrument player by player.
All has gone well except for two things: Mapping to one particular bar wants to add a semiquaver to every instrument (i.e. a full 5/4 bar plus semiquaver). The workaround is to only copy up to the end of that bar, delete the added semiquaver rest then copy the rest. NB It seems Dorico is doing something weird at this point as the original Finale bar is normal.
Secondly, when I got to transposing instruments, some have been imported as is while some have been brought back to sounding pitch. Ok, not a problem. I’ll just transpose the parts (the score should be in C). Kebang! If I transpose one part the whole score is transposed!! I don’t seem to have control over this. Any help would be appreciated.

Can you attach one of the MusicXML files (zip it up first) and tell us which bar is importing with the wrong duration? I bet there’s something untoward going on in that bar in the MusicXML file.

For the instruments whose music has been imported in the wrong transposition, make sure your selection only includes the music belonging to that instrument before you invoke the Write > Transpose dialog.

HI Daniel,

Thanks for your reply.

I’ve attached the score and one of the Horn parts as both XML (ex Finale) and Dorico files

The extra semiquaver occurs at the end of bar 28

Kind regards

(Attachment Dorico is missing)


I’ve tried replying but the Steinberg system is rejecting the attachment


You can email the files to Daniel at d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de if you cannot PM them by clicking on his picture and choosing Message.

Your email should also include the link to this thread to help him place the info.