Issues / Improvements / Questions

1. How can I write/input “cue notes” in Dorico?
  2. In the textformat-popup textformats are underlined, italic, bold, etc. Is it possible to implement a boxed textformat (e.g. to format instrument-names and get a box around the instrument-name)?
  3. Systemtext: some systemtexts (relevant for all staves) are implemented (e.g. tempo, markers A,B,C … etc.). I’m missing very often needed systemtext like: Fine, D.C., D.S., al Fine, Segno, etc.): How can I get them?
  4. Using the german language version: many menu- and options-item are not translated into German.
  5. If using german version, I’d like to get also instrument-names in german language. At the moment, “Zither” is the only one.
  6. Is it possible to reduce staves of an instrument in general setup? E.g. “Harp”: a harp has 2 staves. If I need only one stave (violin-key), how can I take the second stave away or creat a “new” harp with just 1 stave?
  7. Is it possible to tell Dorico to create a layout with e.g. 2 instruments in 1 stave (one with stems up, one with stems down? Example: a Choir-Part with SATB written in 2 staves (S/A in the first stave and T/B in the second stave) - just as a “layout” of the 4 “instruments”.
  8. Write notes with the keyboard: how can I change the octave while I’m writing notes (e.g. a, a1, a2?
  9. was already written in other topics: improvement of copy/paste complete staves or bigger parts of notes would be very great (e.g. after importing via mxl).
  1. How can I write/input “cue notes” in Dorico?

You can’t yet, I’m afraid.

1. In the textformat-popup textformats are underlined, italic, bold, etc. Is it possible to implement a boxed textformat (e.g. to format instrument-names and get a box around the instrument-name)?

Not yet, but this is also planned.

1. Systemtext: some systemtexts (relevant for all staves) are implemented (e.g. tempo, markers A,B,C … etc.). I’m missing very often needed systemtext like: Fine, D.C., D.S., al Fine, Segno, etc.): How can I get them?

We don’t have support for repeat markings like this just yet, but they will also be coming quite soon.

1. Using the german language version: many menu- and options-item are not translated into German.

Yes, unfortunately we have been working hard to add features to Dorico right up until the point at which it was released, and this meant adding many new strings and other user interface elements that we did not have time to translate before the software was made available. The first update, which we expect to be before the end of November, will take care of this in German and the other seven languages into which Dorico is localised.

1. If using german version, I’d like to get also instrument-names in german language. At the moment, “Zither” is the only one.

You can change this via the Language page of Engraving Options, though only for instruments you subsequently add to the project.

1. Is it possible to reduce staves of an instrument in general setup? E.g. “Harp”: a harp has 2 staves. If I need only one stave (violin-key), how can I take the second stave away or creat a “new” harp with just 1 stave?

You can’t do this at the moment, but there are a couple of options on the table for handling this which we will discuss and then implement as soon as we can.

1. Is it possible to tell Dorico to create a layout with e.g. 2 instruments in 1 stave (one with stems up, one with stems down? Example: a Choir-Part with SATB written in 2 staves (S/A in the first stave and T/B in the second stave) - just as a “layout” of the 4 “instruments”.

No, not yet.

1. Write notes with the keyboard: how can I change the octave while I’m writing notes (e.g. a, a1, a2?

Use Ctrl+Alt+up/down arrow (Command-Option on Mac).

1. was already written in other topics: improvement of copy/paste complete staves or bigger parts of notes would be very great (e.g. after importing via mxl).

Yes, we will be improving the ease of making large selections as soon as we can.

Are there any repeat markings available now in 1.0.10 (in my case right now a Segno)? Thanks!

Bravura has a Segno symbol in slot U-E047 which can be added as a text block for now.

Is it yet possible to box an instrument-change name? I can’t find how if so. I find the (for example) ‘To Piccolo’ text hard to spot within a part, hence wanting to put the border round it. In Sibelius I hide the instrument name change, and then insert boxed text, but can’t find a Dorico equivalent.

You can leave the default changes and add a string of staff text spaces. You can box those, switch off collision avoidance and superimpose it :slight_smile:

boxed.png

Aha - thanks - that sounds neat.

Worth mentioning that this is an old thread, and many of the items listed have now been implemented. (Don’t know about the German version, though.)

You can’t have separate instruments in one staff, but you can of course create a “short-staff” choir part using voices.