Issues with getting audio, but only for my own music

System information

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x
GPU: MSI RTX 3080 3X OC
Memory: 2x8 16gb DDR4 3200Mhz
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus Max

I am using my motherboards integrated soundcard, as I do not have my own audio interface. I am using the generic low latency driver packaged with dorico 4 pro, because frankly its the only one i could get to work.

Now to actually describe my issue: Dorico does not output audio, however here’s the weird part. That’s only true with my scores. The default ones packaged with dorico, like the Dorico prelude DO have audio. When I create a new score or use any MusicXML to import files from Sibelius, I don’t get any audio.

In the mixer and in Halion Sonic, output is shown when using any pre-packaged dorico track and here that audio as well.

However whenever I am in my own score, on Dorico’s end when playing a note in Halion Sonic the output is only shown by Halion sonic, and NOT in dorico. In addition, unlike with the pre-packaged tracks, I cannot here the output even when playing notes with the piano interface in Halion sonic.

My best guess at the issue is it’s an audio routing problem of correctly routing Halion sonic to dorico and my headphones. But just because I think I know the issue, does not mean I know how to solve it. Any suggestions?

Some things I have already tried

• Trying different ASIO drivers. I could only get the generic audio driver to output audio at all and again, only in pre-packaged scores
    -Swapping between 41000 and 48000hz in device setup. No luck
    -Trying different audio device outputs with my ASIO driver. No luck there either
    -Updating sound drivers
    -Trying a non prepackaged audio library; specifically noteperformer. That actually had even more issues and would not work even with the pre-packaged scores.

I’m really hoping to get these issues resolved because I need a notation software to use that isn’t sibelius, because they have screwed me over. Right now i’m just on dorico pro 4’s free trial. Please help me fix these issues so I can commit to using dorico long term.

Please load one of that non sounding projects and then choose from the menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here. Thanks

Have you tried (re)applying the Playback Template from the Play menu?

And welcome, @roboticsausage to the Forum.

The Diagnostics zip is about 33MB in size, and it will not let me post to the forum due to a 4MB size limit.

Please let me know if you have any workarounds for this in mind, and thanks for your help.

I did try that, unfortunately, no luck.

You can email the diagnostics to Ulf at u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de. (Substitute the expected punctuation to create the right email address.)

Alright, I sent him an email. Thanks for your help

Thanks for the data. Please open the mixer window (F3) and you will see that the gain of each channel is at minus infinity and therefore no audio comes out.
In Dorico’s Preferences dialog on the Play tab is a slider for the default output level. I suppose that one is set to leftmost in your case. Please check.

Thank you so much, that did it, it also worked for noteperformer as well. I cannot thank you enough.

1 Like