It would be nice to 'disable' Group track on Cubase :)

In Logic, there is an option to extract all tracks that are in a group folder. They get extracted to the main arrange page. It can be done in Cubase/Nuendo manually by moving all the tracks but it would be cool to have it be a similar one-button option.

For live playing in the middle of a CPU/Latency heavy session
check this part out

1 Like

Yes, I am aware of that feature :slight_smile:

I am sure many users would love this feature, one click disabling either:

• group track
    or
  • all inserts

A simple on/off switch that Cubase is well known for!
(We have been getting many many features that save extra CPU usage along the way and I am sure many Cubase mixing engineers would appreciate this quick and easy feature.

Definitely I am treating Group track not like VCA but another Stem track so… being able to have inserts ‘within’ that group has been awesome! But definitely it gets heavy even though my mac is pretty new (3.2hz i7, 64gb ram, mac mojave 10.14.6, Cubase 8+10+11+12 Pros).

VSTs such as Softube Curve Bender, Weiss DS-1 mk3, some good reverb and delay ones (big time) etc

But I will just patiently wait :slight_smile: Meanwhile I will figure out a way around. Cubase has been always amazing but this feature, I’ve been waiting for some time now, and I am sure they will implement it… maybe logically not so right, but some definitely would enjoy this feature!

2 Likes

Disabling groups, FX, etc. would be a nice feature, at least it would be a great time-saver in my worlflow

1 Like

Just to add another application related to the original request (and, yes, my computer power is limited, and maybe it would be okay if I could afford to upgrade to the most modern powerful computer, but I can’t, and I can appreciate that there are also users who may be way more power-hungry than I am):

When I am working on mixes, I often run out of horsepower, and I also use group tracks as stems buses, often with a fair amount of processing on them. Individual tracks will likely have been frozen with their inserts as early as possible, and only unfrozen when I decide I need to revisit their processing to make more tweaks, then they’ll be frozen again.

However, I want to preserve the group bus processing as long as I can. But I frequently can’t hold out long enough to finish a mix. So what I do is render the group track (without its inserts, since it is likely I’ll need to tweak the insert settings later – I am essentially mixing from stems at this point, albeit with the option to go back to any earlier stage within a group temporarily, if needed), then disable all the tracks feeding the group, putting the same inserts (and other track-level settings) on the audio track I’ve rendered. I then have to manually disable all the inserts on the group track to avoid any CPU those are consuming.

From that point, unless I need to go backwards to adjust the tracks that were feeding the group, I am working with an audio track submix of the group, and, when I’m satisfied (at least temporarily) with the processing on that track, I can freeze the inserts to save more horsepower for other elements in the mix. But manually having to disable every plugin in the group track can be a bit of a pain.

Also, sometimes I may have some plugins in the inserts disabled anyway (e.g. if I’m trying to decide between different plugins for the same basic functions), in which case disabling them all there may cause forgetting which ones were active and which ones were not if I have to go back and revisit the track level to tweak things, previewing through the inserts that were in use but not including those in the render. (That is a more minor concern than just the inconvenience of having to disable the track manually, though, because odds are I’ll make changes in the inserts after rendering the submix.)

One other case is where I may want to disable multiple groups at a time for one reason or another. In this case, there is especially the question of semantics of what disabling a group means. Should disabling a group (only, not tracks feeding that group) also disable the tracks feeding it? Probably as not doing so would leave those tracks going outputting to vacant space. Unless they have sends going somewhere that doesn’t feed the group, so considering semantics is at least tricky.

1 Like