It's 2015, still no standard decent drum machine/editor?

Thank you for the only useful and constructive response on here. I hear you on all points. I do think it would be in the best interest of Steinberg to add it to the lower level versions at some point. (Or at least the versions where Groove Agent SE 4 is included) Not only would it help the new users who may have received Cubase bundled with a hardware package, but it would probably take away some users from the other “dance/edm/loop based” geared programs. And let’s face it, there’s lots of them out there. I think once they jumped ship they would realize just how great and easy Cubase is, but not unless it offers the same or equal plug-ins that free or base level DAWs that they’re currently using have. And at the very least, a drum sequencer/sampler. (in this case, Beat Designer)

+1 about moving more than 1 drum track.

The problem with step sequencers is that you get a very generic feel, or should I say lack of feel. My chosen area of expression - and I say that lightly - is jazz and funk. I use “played” midi file to which I add or (mostly) delete parts. I very rarely quantise and I value the pushed or pull beat. Getting the drums to sound real takes work. The OP’s method probably would not work for me. 99.9% of stuff played on the radio I would not want to listen to - the “fact” that they use drum machines would certainly be no inducement to me. This is not to say that I don’t like some electronic music, However it has to be music with feel. Artist like Eivind Aarset, David Torn, Taylor McFerrin, Brandt Brauer Frick and Nils Petter Molvær are more my kind of thing.

This. +1.

I use the beat designer plugin with my (real) drum machines and sampler. You can make layouts and save them as presets. You can also drag and drop the patterns into normal midi tracks.

Beat Designer plugin could use some improvements tho, most notable the lack of an option to rename the internal instruments.

So jjjooonnn, just out of curiosity, if you have been producing music professionally since the 90’s, why on earth wouldn’t you buy Cubase Pro?

So you are annoyed with Cubase Elements and it’s lack of …basically something Cubase Pro (Beat Designer) has…?

And where are all these uphappy Cubase users (majority, as you said) that hate the drum editor in this thread?

“95% of music on the radio is drum machines”

…nice one, man.

You should have stayed with Fruity Loops and I am sure you would have been part of that 95% you speak of.

That’s pretty easy actually.
Believe it or not, every musician doesn’t have thousands of dollars to buy every DAW available. I got AI with a interface and liked the workflow, but wasn’t 100% sold. After upgrading I found it was lacking a few things (mainly a step sequencer). I’m not sure why that offends you personally.

Also, try googling “Cubase Drum Editor” there’s countless forums talking about alternatives, because they’re not happy with the current one. To think that no improvements can be made with a 20+ year old design is just silly. You’re probably a bit older and stuck in your ways, which is fine. No ones trying to take away “your” drum editor. An alternative in something other the highest tier wouldn’t exactly hurt. And I promise a lot of the people here making comments would use it and find it much easier.

Here’s Abelton and Cubase http://i60.tinypic.com/5wbl74.jpg
That’s only the second time I’ve even opened up drum editor in Cubase, so I’m sure there are mistakes.
The first Kick in Cubase you only see half of…anyway

I find the other example way more straight forward.
But that’s just me, I guess. I’m really not sure where to place the diamonds for it to make sense.
and for the people who think you’re locked into place with a grid.
Look at the tom. You can move it wherever you’d like, similar to having the snap function off.
Ultimately, use what you want. But no one is convincing me that example A isn’t better/easier than example B.
Which is why I’m using an alternative sequencer. But that’s besides the point really.

Cubase Pro 8 (!) has so many ways to support your workflow and your music style.
And there are thousands of thousands of people who produce only with Cubase electronic EDM tracks.
Cubase´s Drum Editor ist one of the BEST. Luv it and use it 24/7. Like the “diamonds”. Fastest workflow. (keycommands are also your friend, in each life situation)
Beat Designer and the Midi Plugins are also great tools.
Cubase is one of the most comprehensive DAW´s - for all music styles.

Your screenshot - Ableton Live, Drum Handling:

And here´s one of many possibilities in Cubase to do that in the same way -
with the use of the InPlaceEditor “Kontext Editor” and adequate Q´quantisation grid/view:

With the pencil and mute tool you have a great > Pattern Midi Sequenzer! :bulb:

And please have a closer look at the wonderful “Arranger Track” (perfect for Pattern/Loop/EDM songwriting)

Cubase offers a solution for every taste, you must learn to deal with it properly. That´s it.

C.

Crikey, give him a break…

I think all he’s saying is, he cannot (yet) afford to buy a full Cubase Pro edition with all of its goodies - upgrade or otherwise. His only beef is he wishes the ‘lower’ editions of Cubase (Elements…?) would include stuff like BeatDesigner, which I think he quite likes. He knows what he’s doing; he knows how to edit, he knows what he prefers - and that’s all fine.

Unfortunately, he’ll just have to get an extra paper-round or something on a saturday morning and save up for the software that he needs/likes… :smiley:

:wink:

sorry, Elements. And you’re not willing to upgrade. ok.

But what about adaquate drum VSTi with pattern mode editor in > one tool ?

:bulb:

…maybe this?
http://www.fxpansion.com/uploadedFiles/BFD21_grooves.png

or that?
http://tiny.cc/m1040x

:mrgreen:

VSTi Drum+PatternEditor Freeware for Cubase Elements :

(e.g.)
?

Another Solution: use Sequel. (see your vid)

Sorry, just got in from my “paper-round”.

Wow, so many points being made here. Just need to catch my breath.
K, got it.

I know I clicked on the English forum, so I’m not sure why things are being lost in translation, but here it goes for the final time, since this is getting really boring:

hypothetically
Kid just gets AI with his Shiny UR22

• I have drums sounds I’d like to use.
  • Wait, there’s no sampler to put them in? But all those programs have that. Even the free ones. Hmm, I like the lay-out though, maybe If I upgrade it will have one.
  • Ok, finally have a drum sampler now, but still no step sequencer. There IS a drum editor. I’m not a big fan of it though. It seems dated. Hmmmm. Maybe I’ll upgrade again OR just use any of these other programs for my drums or just get a drum sequencer vst. There’s no shortage of those and a 1/5 of the cost of an upgrade.

Answer: Tough! If you don’t like our drum editor from the 80’s go elsewhere! or better yet, UPGRADE!
and a sampler? Don’t push your luck. What do you think this is, 1995? “Cubase offers a solution for every taste, you must learn to deal with it properly. That´s it”.

Right off the bat the kid has had somewhat a bad experience with Cubase and gone elsewhere. Does he hate the program? No. He still uses it. Just in a Frankenstein way, using other programs to accomplish simple tasks, then bringing them over to finish them in Cubase.

Confession time guys…that kid…is me!
Was that a twist or what!?

In all seriousness, I get why everyone is coming to defense of the program they use on a regular basis. Hell, you post on a message board daily to talk about it. Have you tried telling anyone on an Apple forum that itunes stinks? Don’t! All I’m saying is, more options is not a bad thing. When most music today does use a sample of some kind (even if it’s as little as an individual drum hit) that’s why every (yes, every) other DAW offers one even at a free level. Let alone a couple hundred dollars. I always thought inviting more people in was a good business strategy, but what do I know.

Have fun programming your Buddy Rich drum solos on diamonds and lines. Us guys that don’t any know better will be taking a nap while you’re still importing sounds. Take care.

Wait, there’s no sampler to put them in? But all those programs have that. Even the free ones. Hmm…

Wrong.
Cubase Elements 8 has a SAMPLER !
:slight_smile: _here´s a hot tip:
Groove Agent SE as a Minisampler:

There is an option to play samples chromatically on the keyboard (!)

You can drag and drop every sample (project window or media bay) on a pad of GA4SE.

• go to the pitch tab. (Select key range and set the lower and high keys, your choice)
  • go to the amp tab (and do a double click to add a new point to the amp curve)
    = You can now play your sample chromatically on the keyboard !

There is another option in the sample tab which activates audio warp to get the sample in time.
    This is a nice way if you want to play voice samples for example as a chord because it has the formant fuctionality.

So there´s no need for another sampler…_ :smiley:

More info & pics:

:bulb:

\

“Cubase offers a solution for every taste, you must learn to deal with it properly. That´s it”.

• 1 ! :mrgreen:

Hot tip!
Read it again, because if you read what I wrote, I said AI. I hadn’t upgraded yet.

Every time someone posts a suggestion in a snarky way, I actually giggle.
You mean all I have to do is those 5 steps and I can accomplish half of what I could do elsewhere and it will even take me more time? Sign me up! (Again, my opinion)

aah…sorry! AI.
ok.

Upgrade from Cubase LE / AI 6/7/8 > Cubase Elements 8 = 49.-

+1

Where’s Popcorn Cat when I need him?

I find this entire rant to be hilarious. No, please do feed the troll. He keeps spewing stuff like he was the Chief Engineer at The Hit Factory or stuff.

Maybe instead of the UR22 you should have used the money to upgrade. :mrgreen:

:mrgreen:

We’ve been “making beats” i.e. creating drum parts, by performing them in real time and quantizing for years now. Seems to work just as well… Cubase AI will do that out of the box. You have to be able to count in your head though and have a sense of rhythm :laughing:

You always have options. My 18 month old grand daughter could keep perfect time by banging her sippy cup on the coffee table along to my metronome… Just sayin’

To the OP, save up your money and rise through the versions, that’s how many of us got to where we are now. :confused:

A lot of things have not changed much in 20 years because Steinberg tends to move on to the next feature and orphan the old ones to remain forever children.

The drum map maker is horrible. I need to have a learn function on it and make it easier to delete rows. Have you made a large drum map in this? It is very tedious!

So your complaining about free software that came with an interface!

Also, elements doesn’t come with any midi plug ins at all so that’s why no beat designer. Ellements isn’t aimed at you, Artist is, what used to be studio.