It's Cubase 12 and Cubase still hangs or crashes on exit

You may have missed it, but I said above that I have actually been through three different audio interfaces in 3 years. Always had the same issue.

EDIT: It should be noted that it only happens with large projects. For example, if I open my disabled template and don’t enable anything, Cubase closes easily. So maybe something memory/ ram related?

It’s a tough one to troubleshoot, I guess.

You gotta find a pattern…

Thanks I was not going through the stack, it looks like it failed in the wdm audio midi driver?

More dev tools would be needed to to determine that precisely, so idk

Actually that gives me a random idea to try, @dylanmixer

Set midi to WindowsRT, or vice versa

1 Like

I have the same problem as you with some large projects. They almost always fail to close, but occasionally they will.

It is frustrating and I have not been able to identify a common factor.

But I genuinely do believe it could be caused by a plugin. The reason I say that is that I have seen a number of cases like this on the forum where a plugin or driver or graphics driver was the problem. But of course it could be Cubase in this case

In this case we have a lead that suggests it was an issue with the wdm audio driver trying to write an event to a midi device.

Could you try an asio driver with your Komplete 6? I know virtually nothing about Windows audio, but I do know that a number of device manufacturers prefer asio to wdm.

1 Like

Only ASIO drivers work with Steinberg Cubase.

The fact of wdaud.drv being mentioned might be a red herring anyway. This is the kind of thing Steinberg is always busy troubleshooting.

OP seems to use nativeinstrumentsusbaudioasio_x64, I do use NI suites and keyboards without problems but the difference is I use a thunderbolt audio interface.

Tried enabling WinRT - No dice. Opened a large orchestral project. Attempted to close. Spinning circle of death and was forced to quit through task manager.

Can you share your latest dump?

Komplete 6 is an ASIO Driver.

I think I am starting to figure it out. @steve @Martin.Jirsak

This time, I loaded up my heavy orchestral project, and this time I went to quit and watched it in the task manager. As the spinning ball happened, Cubase’s RAM usage was slowly going down. When it finally reached an acceptable level, I was able to finally click the X and exit Cubase without crashing. This process took about a minute and a half.

So it seems that Cubase has an issue with unloading RAM after exiting a large project. I’m not sure if this is normal, but to compare I opened a large session I have in Studio One. Closes immediately without problem.

It seems that default song template tries to send a midi syex message maybe the new remote midi interface is the reason why it hangs?
see (simplified for human beings :D) stack:
ntdll!NtWaitForSingleObject+0x14
KERNELBASE!WaitForSingleObjectEx+0x8e
wdmaud!CMIDIOutDevice::WriteEvent+0x9c
wdmaud!CMIDIOutDevice::PlaySysEx+0x6d
** wdmaud!HwModMessage+0x11a**
wdmaud!modMessage+0x5fa0
winmmbase!midiMessage+0xb0
winmmbase!midiOutLongMsg+0xaa
Cubase12+0x15a2236

It looks like Cubase hangs because the midi device is already closed and yet it tries to send to it.

Interestingly a very similar stack is acknowledged in:

@steve from the upper link ; it can happen if cubase still uses the old midi interface dll:
“The application uses the former Microsoft Windows MIDI API to communicate with external devices.”
If that happens they recommend to use WinRT

I appreciate your continuing to try to help, but this has been happening since Cubase 10.5.

It’s not informative what another DAW does, since programmed methods might be different.

In your troubleshooting, you might consider the plugins that have loaded content to memory.

In both cases, a combination of Kontakt instances and BBC Symphony Orchestra instances. Not a whole lot outside of that.

Remove one in a test project. Then remove the other.

Or use the Half method- remove half the VSTs, test, no prob? Remove the other half and test. Prob found? Remove half and test. rinse and repeat

Thanks, I will give this a shot and report back.

I tried both methods and the result was the same.

I took 30 Kontakt instances in an empty project, which brought my RAM usage to about 50% - About a minute and 20 seconds to close.

I took 23 BBC instances in an empty project, which brought my RAM usage to about the same - Around a minute and a half to close.

In each case the RAM trickled down slowly, and once depleted I was able to finally hit the final X and close the DAW without crashing.

Are you saying you have found that it takes a long time to release the ram, and while doing so the sequencer appears to have hanged?