I've got nothing but static in Spectralayers 10 Pro

Just bought this, pulled in a song file, and it’s all static. Useless. I have no idea what to do, but what a disappointment.
Can someone tell me what is going on?

What do you mean by “static” ? Can you screenshot the issue ?
What’s your platform (macOS/Windows), CPU, Graphic Card.

1 Like

Hey Robin, thanks so much for your reply.
I kept scanning through other threads here and I finally found one where someone had the same problem. It’s an issue with first setting up your audio interface path. I was able to easily point it in the right place, and boom, crystal clear playback.
I don’t know if Steinberg monitors these threads, but some kind of initial setup pointers would alleviate some stress. I use Win11, and I don’t know if the default setting is for Apple or not, but all it would take is for the first time someone opens the program, to have a popup come up to help them pick that out.
Nevertheless, as usual the problem came down to something I did or didn’t do and wasn’t aware of.
I’m really looking forward to getting to know Spectralayers now. I use RX, DeMix and LALAL, too. I have high hopes for SL.

I’m the creator of SpectraLayers so definitely monitoring user feedback :slight_smile:
On Windows, SpectraLayers is set by default on the default system playback device, through the WASAPI protocol, which is the standard audio API on Windows.
What did you have to change in order to get proper playback, did you have to set it to an audio interface that’s not your default system audio device for Windows ?

Forgive me if I’m less than technical in my explanation.
I’m not sure what was causing the static. But under “edit” “preferences” “Device” I changed Type to ASIO, then for the input and output changed to Universal Audio Thunderbolt (Apollo interface). After that I had no static. The reason I tried that is because under WASAPI, only “Universal Audio Thunderbolt WDM” was listed, and “WDM” goes through windows drivers and, honestly, I was guessing.

The default audio on my system is Realtek, but the Apollo interface, I believe, replaces that? I don’t know. All I know is that I love it when things are working :slight_smile:

For some reason I have had quite a bit of restoration work to do on old recordings. Some 60’s and 70’s vinyl records, and other recordings where the multitracks no longer exist. Records that were not major label releases many times were pushed through what I call “record mills”, and the time and money just wasn’t there. Consequently they are poorly recorded, poorly mastered, little compression smoothing, poorly pressed, etc. This has given me what I’m finding is fascinating opportunity to learn and use a lot of “unmixing” software, experimenting with all kinds of approaches, and it has been a lot of fun for me. I’ve only personally been aware of this kind of MAL for a couple years. I’ve used RX quite a bit, Audio SourceRE, and some of the online stuff like LALAL. I do love a spectral system and find it most useful.
Currently I’ve gone back to a record I produced in 2000 for a songwriter. The multitracks are gone. I’d like to tweak the mix, fix some stuff, and reprocesss the vocals.

I’ve watched hours of tutorials on Spectralayers and hope to get a good working feel for it. I think a lot of companies are doing the same type of stuff and as usual it will come down to the best GUI interface platform, one that is intuitive and easy to work with.

Anyway. More than you asked to know. If I still haven’t set my “DEVICE” preferences correctly, please let me know. But right now it’s working. Really appreciate your response and attention!

1 Like