Izitope Iris Splutters with Latency Problems

Hi Everyone,

I made a big mistake and wiped my hard drive clean where Izotope Iris worked okay because I bought a M.2 drive which I put W10 on but it wouldn’t boot up until I removed W10 from my other drives.

When I first had Iris it worked okay on my Asus PT6 deluxe MB with a i7 920x but then my board failed and so I built a new system with an i7 4790K and an Asus Z97-A MB. I used the same SSD drives as before but I got the free upgrade to W!0 and the advice I got was to start with a completely fresh install so I reset it and then I put on all my programs but I couldn’t believe it when Iris played terribly, breaking up with latency problems. I had the buffer set in Cubase to 520 samples and higher but it was a mess. I came to the conclusion I had put too much software on the drive and perhaps the antivirus was slowing things down so I decided to put W10 on second hard drive and start all over again but this time with far less software, so I put Cubase on with Iris and it played beautifully.

After about a year I thought, well, you know, I never use the first drive anymore where Iris was terrible so l reset it and so took everything of and just put Cubase on and Iris, and crikey, I couldn’t believe it when it broke up and cackled even with buffer rate set high. I was baffled and so I went to my second hard drive and open it and Iris played beautifully again even with the buffer set to 64 samples. I went back and forth several times between the drives and it was always the same, so I came up with a good idea, why not clone over my good drive to my bad one? So I did that and Iris played beautifully again even with sample rate set at 64 samples.

Anyway, I put this new M.2 drive into my PC with a new W10 Pro on the other day and then I only put Cubase on and Iris on it but Iris played terribly again which totally surprised me. The sad thing was I had to scrub my two other drives with W10 on where Iris played okay because my new M.2 drive wouldn’t boot up when they had operating systems on. So I put W10 back on the drive where Iris previously played okay, the one I made a clone from, and put just Cubase and Iris on it and iris played terribly.

I had one last chance, I had made a back up back up of my good drive with True Image just after I put all my programs on it, but crikey, True Image said it had corrupted data.

I had to fit another i7 4790K because my old one was failing the frequency test but my new one failed the test as well and it turned there was nothing wrong with them as both pass okay now. I have a new Z97-Deluxe motherboard coming but if I change that I will have a complete new system with the M.2 drive but I bet Iris still splutters, so it’s not the hardware. It must be a software problem because when I cloned the good drive over to the bad one Iris played beautifully on it.

I don’t know what other adjustments to make other than set the buffer rate in Cubase. I have a Steinberg UR44 sound card. I don’t know if it needs a tweak to the driver but I couldn’t see anything.

Any ideas?

I was lucky this morning. First I re-installed W8 (that horrible program) and put Cubase and Iris on and Iris was unplayable. So I scrubbed the drive and was just going to put W7 on when I thought maybe True image 2017 rescue media might work where the latest TI 2018 rescue media said my back up data was corrupted. I couldn’t be bothered to look for it yesterday because it was just easier to download the latest version. So I hunted about and found my old TI recovery DVD and I put it in the DVD player, and wow behold, it restored my old working system and now Iris plays okay.

But this is weird, my old back up was a year old and my screen looked Spartan, and my Cubase was 8.5, and I thought, here we go, I have to put all my newer software back on, but guess what, the second time I switched on my PC I noticed Office 2016 on my desktop which I only put on my new SSD drive last week, then I noticed the new version Asus AI Suite suddenly appear in the corner of my screen, and I have just now noticed that Cubase 9 has installed itself and other software has turned up like magic.