iZotope RX "Connect"

Yes OP seems to work, I don’t -yet- understand why my waveform changes all the time while I switched auto-apply…I was previewing my event (in the DOP-window) and changed some parameters on the plugin, and each time, with a ± 2sec lag, the waveform updated…
Meanwhile, we’re hijacking this thread…

Niek/ Amsterdam

Auto apply does exactly what it says. You don’t ahve to “apply” anymore to apply the effect.
Which makes dialog editing super fast.

Fredo

Which makes dialog editing super fast.

It only makes it super fast when you’re working with short audio-files.
I just experienced a 1~2sec lag when I tried changing a parameter on my Sonnox EQ, DOP’d on a 4 minute stereo music file. However, in Preview-mode, monitoring your parameter-changes, is almost directly hearable.

Auto apply does exactly what it says. You don’t ahve to “apply” anymore to apply the effect.

I understood that, but my waveforms kept on updating during parameter-change in DOP, even “auto-apply” was off …

Restarting my system now, after having EUCon-issues and “Edit in WaveLab”-issues too…

Hi guys

First off I hope we can appreciate all that Steinberg has done to revolutionize audio production before getting too discouraged with the problem. I for one have been grateful for selecting this as our DAW of choice versus PT… not to mention how much $$$ I’ve probably saved my business in the long run so far.

The new direct offline process history is amazing!!! and simply being able to delete multiple offline process’s in one click is already a big advantage for this tool. of course there will always be some kinks to work out, and as usual Steinberg will pull through for us time and time again, I have faith.

In the meantime I think I found a way to use RX 6 in N8

Here it is.

1. OPEN direct offline process history and make sure Auto apply is off
  2. Select clip
  3. Open RX Connect
  4. Ensure there is no other instant of RX connect being used, so to be safe press the trash button from inside RX connect (Discard the audio clips)
  5. instead of capturing the audio, now press Apply
  6. The audio will appear in RX. Edit as usual.
  7. HERE IS THE IMPORTANT PART… after you’ve completed your edit and before you send back. Make sure you are still selected on the same clip and in the Direct offline process history now DELETE the RX 6 connect from the offline process history not the plugin…
  8. Re- OPEN RX connect while still selected on the clip. Now go back to RX and send. RX should receive it. NOW press apply.
  9. it should have copied to clip. Best practice is to then while the plugin is stilled open in DOPH, use the trash bin again from RX connect to clear both RX and the plugin for the next use.

YES its a lot of steps for this, but its a solution that seems to work for me so far to continue to use Nuendo 8 as i’m loving the new features. I’m sure steiny will fix this soon.

BEST OF LUCK guys. hope it helps

Thank you so much! I will try this out asap!

that actually works… thanks for that.
A bit tedious, but “ok” for now.
I hope they still come out with a better solution.

Hello there,

we have prepared a Knowledge Base article addressing the current situation between the Direct Offline Processing in Nuendo 8 and iZotope RX Connect here: https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/115000946570-Nuendo-8-Direct-Offline-Processing-iZotope-RX-Connect-

Though Fredo already posted the available “workaround” this article also explains the background of this issue as well as the status of a future solution.

As soon as a better workflow is available we will inform you and also update the information on the article.

I hope you find this article helpful.

All the best,

Thank you for the information.
The knowledge base article states that Steinberg and iZotope are working on a solution. I hope this will be fast.

I would like to stress once again that the current situation is unacceptable and means that Nuendo 8 is completely useless for my audio post workflow unless this is resolved!

Hello Oliver.Lucas,

RX Connect was developed by iZotope a long time ago to work around Nuendo’s previous offline processing tool. With Nuendo 8 one of our goals was to improve the offline processing and offer our customers a faster, easier and more flexible workflow that resulted in the new Direct Offline Processing window.

The fact that RX Connect doesn’t work with the new system has been known to us and to iZotope for a couple of months now, and we have been working together trying to find an alternative to have these two programs working together again since then.

However, in this case it is RX Connect that needs to be updated to work with the new Direct Offline Processing and not Nuendo, so a fix has to come from iZotope and not from Steinberg. All our developers were able to do was to implement the workaround mentioned on my previous post.

I hope you can understand that we could not delay the release of Nuendo 8 just because a third party manufacturer hasn’t released an update for their plug-ins yet, but we are optimistic that this will happen sooner rather than later. As for how soon this fix will be available, you will have ask iZotope.

All the best,

Five years ago or so I would have been fine with that statement. Today however iZotope RX is everywhere. It’s integrated into the workflow of pretty much every post-audio engineer that I know (excluding those that are lucky enough to be highly specialized). So this isn’t just “a third party manufacturer”, this has become an integral part of the DAW setup, be it Nuendo or Pro Tools.

In a sense it puts the finger on what I said earlier (although some may certainly disagree); that there really aren’t many post-specific new features or big improvements to this paid upgrade compared to earlier upgrades, so it would arguably have been difficult to delay this new Offline Processing update because you’d have had even less to market as “new”.

To a user like me who works ‘solo’, doing dialog/production sound editing, then music/fx editing, then mixing, then printing and QC and delivery etc, RX integration is key. It’s the difference between a clean dialog track that nobody can complain about and making a tradeoff between that and something else (because not having a fast RX workflow means having too little time to get everything done correctly). So to us this really isn’t just another third party developer, this is something that just has to work, and the less smoothly it works the longer our work takes, and it’s something that just isn’t justifiable any longer.

So I really think this possibly has become a bit bigger issue than you might think it is.

PS: Note the caveats above.

Dear Luis,

again, thank you for taking the time to openly state Steinberg’s official views on this. Unfortunately this issue is developing into a rather unsatisfactory direction.

Steinberg wants to leave this question in the hand of a third party developer.

We are talking about a workflow that close to 100% of the audio post people are using repeatedly on a daily basis, yet Steinberg reacts as if this was a 32bit freeware chorus by some unknown developer.

As I stated before this release is pretty much useless to me in it’s current state.
Who knows when iZotope will get Nuendo 8 to where Nuendo 7 was before again? In a week, a month, a year? Two years?

There is not much I can do as a customer rather than say that I have been with this application for many years and that I am very upset about this release that feels like a beta version at best to me. I’ve said this before - it feels like you are desperately searching for a way to unravel Nuendo’s reputation with this version.

I am a very disappointed customer.

http://www.oliver-lucas.de
Studio owner

Hello again,

I’m very sorry that for many of you this issue is a deal-breaker for using Nuendo 8 as you would like to. I also understand that RX is an essential tool for post-production and that you need a seamless workflow when using it within Nuendo. But as I stated in my previous post, there is nothing Steinberg can do to make RX Connect work again, since we are not the developers of this technology. iZotope is aware of this loss of functionality and we are certain they will soon come up with a solution as they have been working on it for a couple of months now.

As for the current workaround, I agree that is not “fancy” and that it feels as a workaround, but it works (and not that differently as it used to work in Nuendo 7).

As for calling Nuendo 8 a “Beta” release I wouldn’t go that far. The new video engine is new but not in a Beta state. The issues Oliver Lucas has posted here are being investigated but seem to be very system specific, which is why none of our testers nor beta-testers where able to identify it before. The missing DNxHD codec is a limitation that is not necessarily Steinberg’s “fault” but it is matter of licensing that we can not go around. And again, RX Connect is nothing we can fix in our house and we have to rely on iZotope to be able to offer a solution.

I hope this post doesn’t sound too apologetic or defensive, but besides those issues that are very frustrating for those of you following this thread, Nuendo 8 has been generally very well received and we are very proud of it. I am sorry that some areas that still need ironing out are preventing some of you from using it as your main system for now, but it won’t be long until you will. Then again, Nuendo 8 has just been released two weeks ago and, besides the usual maintenance updates, we still have some cards under our sleeves that will be revealed not that long from now.

And lastly a big thanks to all of you for helping us making Nuendo even better by posting your feature wishes as well as finding issues that need to be looked at, and also solutions and tips for other users to make the most out of it.

Best regards

While the release of Nuendo 8 definitely has suffered due to the RX compatibility, it is great to hear that Steinberg/iZotope are collaborating on a solution! Also there are a lot of great improvements in the new Nuendo version.

For other issues like VST-Xml and Native Instruments VSTis like (Battery, Kontakt etc.) people are asking for a proper solution of it for years and Native Instruments never followed up on it and there had to be third party workaround tools (VST-XML Translator). So it’s great to hear that iZotope seems committed to support the new workflow! :slight_smile:

On the other hand, why can’t Nuendo support using an external Editor like other DAWs (Logic, Reaper, Ableton etc.) natively? Basically, a right-click command “Open in External Editor” which would open the selected audio file in RX or any other Audio Editor.

Hi soligne,

first of all, thank you for your post.

It is possible to edit audio clips from Nuendo in WaveLab 9. Select a clip, go to the “Audio” menu and click on “Edit in WaveLab”.

This video shows how it works (in Cubase) though it works the same way with Nuendo 8 (and 7.1):

Hope this helps!

That shouldn’t be too difficult to implement - I believe Nuendo-8 can already do this with Wavelab, although Steinberg might not want to do it as it might diminish Wavelab sales.

Hey, thanks for the reply! I know that it is possible with Wavelab, but why does it have to be limited to Wavelab only?

I would love to have those functionalities more open and not confined to only Steinberg Products, especially if it is something so straight forward as “open audio file in other application”. While Wavelab is surely a good product most people I work with either are on Sound Forge or iZotope RX, so it would be nice to have this option not be limited to Wavelab by design :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t hold my breath. If I remember correctly the “reference” function never worked properly in Nuendo 7, and when I discussed it directly with iZotope they essentially just gave up for the version I was on at the time (v4). In other words even if this is ironed out it’s really too bad because it will almost certainly only apply to the current version of RX.

So for those of us still on a version lower than 6 retaining functionality (or improving it if people can get “reference” to work properly, as well as other things) while upgrading to Nuendo 8 would actually mean spending a minimum of $650. I’d essentially be “forced” to spend more on RX than on Nuendo simply because I’m upgrading Nuendo.

I’m glad many of your users are happy and that this release was well received, but I think for the type of post engineer I am it kind of missed the mark, not just because this isn’t currently working, but because of the generally underwhelming amount and type of new features. Perhaps it’ll all change during the life-cycle of version 8 though.

Well, yes it does sound defensive, even though I understand what you’re saying.
There were problems before in N7 with RX Connect and it was never properly addressed. Never.
It is simply not enough, and not acceptable to simply read : it’s their fault, there is nothing we can do…
It is not about developing what Steinberg wants, but what WE, the customers, need… And letting that release go without saying a thing about the RX Connect problem you knew about is just irresponsible in my opinion. And I’m not even talking about the multi-file send workflow that works on ProTools from the beginning.
If I were to behave the same with my clients, I would be unemployed very quickly.

At the same time, I do think that new way of doing things is great, so I hope there will be a solution soon, but I also feel that you guys at Steinberg are not Post guys at all, and don’t understand how profoundly we need some functions, and not no-time-limited-workarounds.
As said before in the posts, we do rely a lot on RX, especially people working ITB.

You might not want to do the comparison, but we, as clients, do the comparison between Protools and Nuendo.
And I hate to say that, but right now I’m back to Protools until that issue is resolved, because it simply breaks my workflow. (even with all the other lovely new stuff in N8)

(Again, I think N8 is interesting, but I’m just saying all that so that you understand how deeply you underestimated that “RX Gate“ situation)

Luis, I’m not sure if it’s just a communication thing but I would have been happier to hear that Steinberg are working with iZotope and not simply leaving them too it, walking away as appears to be inferred.

I also feel that if this was a known issue, Steinberg should have been upfront about it, allowing the mods in this forum to talk about it. The lack of transparency here does you no favours at all. It may not have been intentional and if that is the case then one could conclude that the project lead maybe lacking knowledge or experience in ‘Audio Post’ ITB popular workflows, tools etc.

It would be great if iZotope could make a statement about what’s happening their end on this forum. If nothing else so we can all be confident things are indeed moving forward. Not to doubt you Luis but Steinberg didn’t admit to this issue in the first place. Then we’re told, or its been inferred that its now out of Steinberg’s hands or similar. It’s a little hard right now to trust Steinberg on this one.

I’ll be holding off upgrading until the major bugs and the RX Connect issue are resolved.