Izotope RX8 and Nuendo 10

Is anybody on RX 8 already? Are the problems with DOP fixed? On Izotope’s site it says compatible with Nuendo 11… Is this a mistake or is Version 11 'round the corner? :astonished:

Curious about this too. I was hoping to do some A/B testing with RX vs. SpectraLayers. I got the RX8 demo, but I can’t get the ‘connect’ plugin to replace the clip/event on my timeline with the RX’d version.

I tried following the steps mentioned here:
https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032637174-How-to-use-RX-Connect-in-Steinberg-Cubase-or-Nuendo

After I click ‘send back’ in RX and then click ‘Apply’ in the connect window in Nuendo…, it just sends the same clip back to RX again. I’m not sure if this is a limitation of the demo, or not. Hard to tell because on the page linked above it states that there’s a ‘known issue’ with the connect plugin and Cubase/Nuendo, but it doesn’t state what that known issue is.

The steps to send to and from RX are correct. Perhaps it’s indeed a bug that will be solved in 8.01.

Thanks. I sent a support ticket to Izotope. I’ll report back when I hear something.

Hi BenmRX,

About suing RX off-line…is feels like a bug (and in a way it might) but when You use RX-connect make sure you disable Auto Apply" in the DOP window. When Auto Apply is on it will send the file to RX through RX-connect but when you sned the file back to RX-connect (so i.e. beck to Nuendo’s DOP) you should make sure to disable “Auto Apply” before you manually press on the Apply “button” (makes sense not?). This is anyway the way to work around this issue and has been since the DOP started (was that around N8…?). I think it must be possible to make the software around this issue but I suspect it is only possible when both development teams work together.

Good luck,
Björn - Warning Studios - Amsterdam

The problem is that the VST3 version of RX is not according specs.
There are two ways to fix this:

1. Izotope fixes their “broken” VST3 versions
  2. Steinberg breaks their own VST specs.

In the meantime, Steinberg has offered a solution to work around that faulty VST3 implementation: disabling Auto-apply.
There is not much more that can be done.

Fredo

I think the problem here is that the way RX Connect and DOP functions makes it very likely problematic. In a sense if you have auto on then it’ll send automatically, but the question is if the Connect plugin properly registers that something has been sent. Seems it doesn’t. So then the question - just like Fredo said - if Steinberg should essentially make an exception for iZotope and create some sort of “flag” that goes up if Connect is loaded and auto-apply is on, and then automatically turn it off. Since RX is such a very widely used software I think there’s a decent case to be made for doing this. It’s not like we’re talking about an esoteric software that 1% of the users use. But on the other hand:

• what will other developers say when Steinberg gives iZotope a break?
  • does it have any other unforeseen effects on other plugins?
  • would it be possible for users to push iZotope to do things differently?

One thought though - Is it possible to create a macro that 1) chooses “apply” and 2) toggles auto-apply “off”?

Granted, you’d have to turn it back on afterwards but the front part of it would work with a single key stroke, right? I suppose you could add a step to turn it on before “apply” as well which would work as long as you’re doing only RX (otherwise you’d have to toggle it back on again for other plugins).

Thanks for the reply.

Yeah, ‘auto apply’ is off. The problem is that when I ‘send back’ from RX to Nuendo, in the DOP window it’s still asking me to ‘select repair or reference’, it’s not asking me to ‘render the changes’. So, when I click apply it just again sends the same file back to RX. I’ve gotten it to work once, but that seems to be a fluke, as I’ve tried at least 50 times now. I’ve tried using the VST3 version of connect, the VST2 version, etc. I’ve tried removing the connect plugin in the DOP window altogether and then instantiating it again, but no dice.

That’s why I’m so curious if ANYONE here is using RX8 with success.

Was it working for you in v7?

Never had v7. This is my first go at using RX with Nuendo. Unfortunately, I can’t find a way to demo v7 to test.

At my old job (at a post house) I used RX5 every day with Pro Tools, but I’ve never tried using it (any version) with Nuendo.

EDIT: I found a legacy installer for RX7. And yes, RX7 is working as expected. So must in fact be an issue with RX8 Connect in Nuendo. At least now I can somewhat compare RX vs. SpectraLayers 7.

Also, can someone please test the multi-clip processing using RX via DOP and the drifting that gets introduced on the processed clips.

“The problem is that the VST3 version of RX is not according specs.”

I hoped they would fix this problem in v8, but it seems it’s still there. That’s a bummer.

Yeah, ‘auto apply’ is off. The problem is that when I ‘send back’ from RX to Nuendo, in the DOP window it’s still asking me to ‘select repair or reference’, it’s not asking me to ‘render the changes’. So, when I click apply it just again sends the same file back to RX.

I can repro here on 10.3 with RX8. After hitting the Send Back button in RX nothing happens in DOP. It either is not sent by RX or not recieved by DOP.
In 10.3 with RX7 sending back to DOP and then “apply” it to make it happen on clip works as expected.

Oswald

This seems to be a known issue and will be fixed in 8.01 (as stated on their website).

However, there’s no mention if rx8 will conform to vst3 standards after the update.

https://support.izotope.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032637174-How-to-use-RX-Connect-in-Steinberg-Cubase-or-Nuendo

Thanks, Tajika, for the tip.

Oswald

I have been using RX8 with Nuendo 10.3 and have no issues with RX connect. I use DOP without auto-apply, always select Repair, make changes in RX to the file, send back and DOP window tells me to press Apply to commit changes. I do that and changes are done. The only thing that I think could work differently is after you commit the changes, you can’t modify them. You can create another instance of RX connect following the previous one, but once you try to edit the ones already created, all instances reset completely. If someone knows some nice workaround, would be nice to share.

Looks like you’re on Windows. Oswald and myself are on OSX, so this issue might only affect Mac users.

“You can create another instance of RX connect following the previous one, but once you try to edit the ones already created, all instances reset completely. If someone knows some nice workaround, would be nice to share.”
+1 on this one (macos mojave)

FYI, for those having the issue of RX8 connect not working in Nuendo to ‘apply’ the changes I just got this response fro iZotope:

This is a known issue with RX 8 connect in Nuendo that our development team are aware of and planning to address in an upcoming patch.

Please keep an eye out in product portal in the next couple weeks for the update as well.

Well 8.1 is out and I’m still having the exact same issue on MacOS Mojave. But for some reason only on one of two machines that are quite similar.
@ the people that had the issue here: so you still have it with 8.1?

Thanks,
Alex

EDIT:
iZotope seems to still be aware of it in 8.1:
so let’s hope for a soon update.