JABB Garritan use for dummies

After having used Sibelius for 25 years and having watched ~300 video’s (thanks Anthony Hughes, you’re a hero!) I think I start to understand Dorico bit by bit. Very much impressed by the fast developement. Top-team!
Yesterday I printed out my first A4… But

I still have a major problem: how do I get Dorico work with the Garritan’s JABB (Jazz and Big Band) library. It works fine on my Mac with Sibelius now. Arranging for big band is my income. The Steinberg-helpdesk lady told me that JABB works fine since one of the latest updates.
I read a few of the JABB topics on this forum about several problems but I’m looking for a step by step instruction (dummies-style) starting with step 1 “how to get JABB working with Dorico”.
Does this exist? Can this be provided by the support team or do users here have a simple solution for me?

If you are talking about making JABB accessible to Dorico, then you would follow the same instructions as have been given for adding any sound library .dll to the program via the Preferences > VST Plug-in panel.

(@Lillie_Harris where is the documentation for this panel? I did not find it searching “VST” in the on-line Dorico Pro 3.5.10 documentation.)

If you are talking about Assigning/Creating Expression Maps for JABB, that is a slightly different topic.

I think this is the relevant page - it needs updating, which I haven’t quite got to yet. (For me, this was the 3rd result when searching “VST” - admittedly it’s not a reference for the page in Preferences, but we tend not to document individual pages in options dialogs individually, with the exception of Key Commands because how that functions is so different to all other pages)

You need to add the “ARIA Player Multi VST_x64” to the whitelist, the regular ARIA Player (including the VST3 version that might be automatically recognized) IIRC doesn’t handle polyphony. In the ARIA VST instrument you can add any of the JABB Instruments.

You’ll need to create Expression Maps too. JABB uses CC11 dynamics so you’ll need to select that if you want dynamics to play back. Unfortunately, Dorico doesn’t support aftertouch which is how JABB controls vibrato, so there’s no way to have JABB vibrato in Dorico. There are lots of other items you might want to include in your EM too, including keyswitches for brass mutes. This page from the JABB manual lists a lot of things you might want to consider.

That is what I meant. The page you cited is part of the 3.5.10 manual brought up when I clicked the Help link in the Dorico program itself; but it talks about editing the whitelist text file, which is definitely going to throw Rob for a loop since it is no longer necessary.

If you have not gotten around to editing it (and are aware of that), I can understand. You do a yeoman’s (yeowoman’s ?) job keeping up with improvements in the various version of the program, and my hat is off to you.

Thanks Derrek. So, two seperate things to do; adding a sound library and making expression maps. In Sibelius this works automatically so this is completely new for me. But I’m going to look at Anthony Hughes video’s again to find out more.

Thanks for the reply, Lillie. I tried your link and indeed the page seemed to be for older versions.
Is there an updated version of the manual?

I also wanted to point out that JABB automatically installs Cubase Expression Maps. On Windows they can be found at Program Files\Garritan\Jazz and Big Band 3\VSTexpression maps. In Play/Expression Maps you can select Import Cubase Expression Maps to import these to get started. I’ve modified mine quite a bit so I don’t remember what the default import looked like, but they should give you an idea of some of the keyswitches possible. Be sure to remember to set the dynamics to CC11 if they don’t import that way.

1 Like

That is the most recent version of the manual, I’ve just not quite finished updating everything! Apologies in the meantime.

Hi FredGUnn, thanks a lot for your info.

[quote=“FredGUnn, post:4, topic:684050”]
add the “ARIA Player Multi VST_x64” to the whitelist
[/quote] To be honest, I didn’t know I had a whitelist… :wink:
I’ll first dive into the Anthony Hughes videos again and then I’ll probably find the “ARIA Player Multi VST_x64” somewhere. Thanks for now!

Sorry, I was still using the outdated term. As @Derrek pointed out above, this has changed in 3.5. You can find it at Preferences/ VST Plug-ins/Allowed VST2 Plug-ins.
VST

Ahhh now I see! But in my Preferences/Allowed Plug-ins there are beside 3 KontaktPlayer2 just an
Aria Player VST and an Aria Player VST Multi.
Not an Aria Player Multi VST_x64 Is that a new version? Where can I get this?

The Multi_x64 is just the name on Windows for the Multi VST on Mac.

The Multi VST can output each slot on different channels, so that each one is on a separate mixer slider in Dorico.

The VST3 plug-in can handle polyphony perfectly well: but it only receives on channel 1, and only outputs one channel. If you’re using custom Endpoints, you’ll probably have one instrument on one VST anyway. ARIA is so lightweight that 32 VSTs with one sample each loads just as quickly as 2 fully loaded VSTs.

But presumably, Plogue will update this plug-in with full features, if MakeMusic are interested…

I’ve written a load about GPO, some of which may be relevant to JABB

Are there plans to allow JABB3 to work with Dorico? Currently, it does not. Thanks.

Please see here, where you can download a Garritan JABB playback template:

1 Like

Bless you, Daniel. had a very frustrating afternoon trying to figure out the whole VST/JABB thing. your solution was elegant and easy to understand.

I made some suggestions to John Barron about the JABB Playback template a while ago: I don’t know if he’s taken them on board.

JABB comes with two “banks” of identical instruments: Notation, and Standard. The Notation set is designed for use with Notation software, and has Key switches in different octaves from the Standard set.
For the “Notation” set, the KSes should be from C-2 to B-2 (for Middle C=C3) See page 28 of the JABB mañuel. I think they’re on C1 to B1 (using the Standard set) in the template.

There’s also differences in which CC controls legato, and different pitch bend ranges.

CC29 needs to be set to a high value for Trumpets, as it controls the Volume of Falls and Doits.
A little bit of variable timbre (CC23=32) and a tiny bit of intonation variety (CC22 = 10) helps the overall feel, and reduces phasing if you’re doubling up.

I set CC91 to 64 in the INIT expression. This is the SEND dial in ARIA’s mixer, which controls how much of ARIA’s Convolution/Ambience is included.

Read through the JABB Mañuel for more details.

1 Like