JamKazam, and UR-C driver not compatible

Another reason not to buy a UR-C, even with the super fast USB 3’s connection, can only be brought to as low as 32 samples of buffer size, JamKazam needs between 2 and 10 for it to work.
I’m running the program with a patched up E-Mu driver and an interface from 2006!
I knew the Yamaha driver wasn’t very flexible, to be nice with the adjective.

Sorry but I think a product that requires 10 samples or lower of buffer is the one guilty of being inflexible.
What interface is even capable of 10 samples buffer? None that I have seen.
Maybe some of the high end $1000+ interfaces?
10 samples at 44.1 is less than a quarter of a millisecond!
Where did you get the 2-10 sample buffer requirement anyway?

My E-MU goes down to 2 samples, no problem. I only have experience with the ones I have.
I did a quick online class thing
on Jamkazam through the Jazz Education Network they recommend a cheap presonus audiobox 96.
Jamkazam allows you to play with other musicians remotely, latency is important, so a low buffer is of the essence. The UR-C series are just not able to do that because they’ve solved the “latency” with direct monitoring in the box. It’s good at what it does but you can’t do much else.

I just looked at the manual for the Audiobox 96 and it says you can set the buffer from 64 to 8192 samples.
Out of curiosity, I also looked at the manual for the E-MU and it displays buffer sizes in mSec, not samples.
I have an old Focusrite that also uses mSec instead of samples. I think you may be confusing samples with milliseconds in the buffer settings.
For reference, 2 mSec at 44.1 kHZ is 88 samples.

Lastly, have you tried the UR? Were you having a problem using it with JamKazam?

You are right, about the buffer in milliseconds, I’m a bit near sided.

Here are the two setup prompts on JamKazam.

I’m looking for an line teaching solution, and I actually think that JamKazam is not what I need, I might end up using Jamulus instead, for sound, and Teams or Skype for the video.

I honestly find that the UR 44C is only good with Cubase. I can’t patch another program for writing through a separate asio channel with it, I the driver can not be shared. If I first open Finale, or Dorico, on channel 3 and 4, ie, Cubase won’t be able to access the drivers. Or If I’m working on Cubase and I would like to open Melodyne, I know it can be opened with rewire, Cubase will go mute for the time Melodyne is open, regardless of how I route it.

anyhow thank you for your help.

Pablo

I am fairly sure the UR will work with JamKazam. The settings just need to be adjusted correctly. Try adjusting some of the buffer sizes, etc.

Concerning not being able to use Cubase and Melodyne, Dorico, etc., I don’t think the UR is the problem. The problem is that some ASIO applications won’t “release” the driver when they are in the background. Cubase has an option in the “VST Audio System” Settings called “Release Driver when the Application is in the background”. With this checked, Cubase will release the driver to other applications when it is in the background. Halion and Groove Agent also have these options in the setup panel. I can open all three and switch between them and they all work. NOT at the same time, of course, but that is a limitation of the ASIO technology itself.
Some applications do not have the option to “Release the driver when in the background”. Dorico and Kontakt for example, when they open, they take the ASIO driver and will not release it, even when they are in the background. They must be closed before they allow other applications to take the audio.
I can get some limited, simultaneous playback of NON-ASIO applications, such as Media Player, Guitar Pro, Edge browser, and Audacity, for example.
I think that it is not the UR that is the issue but the ASIO technology itself. I think any other ASIO interface would have the same issues when trying to use Cubase, Dorico, and Melodyne at the same time.
One last thing… Go to WIndows Settings - System - Sound - Device Properties (for the UR) - Additional Device Properties - Then on the “Advanced” tab of the Dialog Box, there should be a checkbox “Allow Applications to take exclusive control of the Device”. Unchecking this may help to stop some applications from locking up the driver.
Anyway, good luck and I hope you find a solution that works for you.

Thank You,

I’ve disallowed the exclusive control of the Device. I’ll see how that works.

I guess I was spoiled all this years with the E-MU, where I could assign a different ASIO channel on the DSP for each program and there was never a problem sharing the ASIO driver. I would have kept on using it as my main one, but now I use it mainly when transcribing and playing VSTs sounds when I play keyboard because the routing is so much more friendlier.

That’s really interesting that it can do that. In Windows, does it just create separate instances of the ASIO driver? For each ASIO application? Or maybe they coded the driver so it could mix an ASIO stream from multiple sources…
I wonder if other current interfaces can do that? I have used a few different types and never seen that capability in the others (Steinberg, Focusrite, M-Audio).

I think that it was coded to act like a real mix board, so provably the driver has the ASIO with separate channels. I’ll check the manual.