Jazz/pop/rock drum part considerations

Hm ok perhaps I am stupid but if you have 15 bars in your score where the drummer should play, and you hide one of them to put “play 15”, what happens with the other 14?

Don’t use multibar rests, use 1-bar repeats. If you use the H-bar delta method, then that is getting rid of the measure numbers too which you do not want. Use 1-bar repeats, consolidate them, select the consolidated repeat, then choose Properties/Color and set the Alpha channel to 0. It’s now hidden but the measure #s still show. The first empty bar below is 1-bar repeats with Alpha 0, and the second H-bar delta.

Maybe you didn’t understand or got my trick Dan, I’m talking about printout purpose only not sound playback of score.

If you ask me to make 15 multibar rest, I won’t make 15 empty bars, I will make one empty bar, then do what I wrote above, since it is only a score to be printed out!

My reply is to mimic what you put here :

You have to adjust the measure #s then. Fine for a single separate part, but unusable for a part that is included in a larger score.

I’m pretty sure there’s no such thing as independent bar #s in Dorico. How can you make this work using your method if the drum part is part of a larger big band score for example? Just using one empty bar isn’t really a viable option unless the drum part is its own file separate from everything else.

Yes exactly, ok that is what creates the confusion. No @NorFonts the drum part is just one of minimum 17 parts in most of my charts and during those 15 bars there are hopefully other things going on. But I understand you do separate drum parts. Fine, but a different thing,

1 Like

Yes Dan, for a separate score for the player the trick works, but within a larger score you/I can’t.

Ok good idea. I’ll try that. Although with multimeasure rests it is yet ok in this context, I only have bar numbers in the beginning of staves. But I’ll try the bar repeat version in the next chart and see if that makes this mess a litte clearer… :slight_smile:

1 Like

Rather than setting your H-bar width delta to something nonsensical (like -100), set it just narrow enough that the text will cover it. Then use the Bar count offset (or drag the number) so that it’s within the staff.

Then set the properties for the text item in such a way that it covers up the multi-bar rest.

It doesn’t actually need to Erase background or be bordered, but the text itself does need to have a background color set.

What do you have in the score then? Just rests? How do you differentiate them from actual rests for the conductor? Or do you use Remove Rests to just have blank empty bars in the score?

No @FredGUnn you are right, the score is of course not good in this sense however atually the “Play 15” text is visible in the first measure of the 15 bar rest period, so that might serve as an indication to the conductor. However of course I agree that the score should mirror the part better than it does now. But honestly I am relieved if I can produce a readable and clear drum part (with max 3 pages) for now…

1 Like

Just played around with this a bit more. By switching between global and local properties for hiding elements you can accomplish a lot too. It would be cool if there was a way to somehow include a first slash bar so you could have a slash bar then 1-bar repeats in the score, but still “Play 10” or whatever in the part.

This is as close as I’ve been able to get although clearly the 1-bar repeats are technically incorrect as they aren’t referencing a bar of time. Measure #s are all correct though.

Score

Part

1 Like

Ok great. I think you have made the best of it! Thanks for sharing! //D

1 Like

Experimenting, you can get rid of all H-bars by setting the Engraving Options here to zero.

Then setting the Font size here to 1 (0 does not work) to get rid of the Bar count.

This will not work if you need the H-Bar in some other place though.

Jesper

I just looked at the drum part and could tell immediately that that’s Bud Powell by Chick Corea. Such a legend, and such a great tune. - YouTube

1 Like

Yep! Thanks for posting that video too! I have the ECM recording of them playing it together but hadn’t seen that particular live version. Did the airline lose Gary’s bag? Nice to see he dressed up for the gig :joy:

I come to this:

I tried these settings in Engrave Mode :

I entered text PLAY followed with few space bars, then nudge it down to fit with number 5 :

At least, this way the H-bar is being hidden while the multi-rest number is still there.

And now I can have my customize jazzy multi rest H-bar displayed as I wanted:

Thanks jesele :wink:

Really sad day in the jazz drum world, so I just wrote out a quick arrangement for my student ensemble to play tonight. It’s not that often I really need pitch cues in a drum part, but it seemed pretty essential here at this tempo. Anyway, it combines most of the elements Dan discussed in his original post, plus seemed like a good example of why pitch cues are occasionally needed in drum parts instead of just rhythms, so just thought I’d share:

2 Likes

There are now two more formal feature requests in this area posted in the forum: Feature request: improved drums cue note support - #3 by dan.h.tillberg and Feature request: Multimeasure play (elaborate version)