JBL room mode correction products

Cheap mans corner treatment.

Buy some of those rolls of loft insulation, leave rolled up cover with nice fabric and place in corners of room.

Rockwool can be rigid too. OC703 is glassfibre rockwool is mineral wool. nt a lot of difference really. both glasswool and ‘rock’ wool comes in limp and rigid forms.

The term rockwool ( although it’s also a brand ) is a generic term for all rigid slabs, including OC703. Owens Corning isn’t so generally available in Europe

2" thick foam won’t absorb well below a few hundred Hz. Especially if it’s flat to the wall. Problem is you can end up absorbing the highs and not the mids and unbalancing the room

Those are the exact same panels I use for generic diffusion in the live room. I stripped away the metal frames, recarpeted them, and used construction adhesive to glue strips of velcro to the backs of them. They are very light (they are solidly up on my walls with about 5 large dots of velcro), and do a good general job (basically similar characteristics to Owens 703 fiberglass). It covers a lot of area. And I got mine through an office migration where they were just throwing them all away.

Total cost = 1 shower (after pulling them from a dumpster). :wink:

I do have an array of bass traps and other diffusion though, I don’t think you’ll be able to get away with just those cubicle panels.

Right – but are you saying that you do actually WANT to deaden the highs, but need to be sure you’re taming the mid’s, also?

Are you saying then that rockwool/703 is a better solution to take care of both?

Acoustic form works well and can work as well as rockwool, but like rockwool you’ve got to use enough of it and in the right places.

2" thick rockwool place directly on the wall won’t be great either.

And yes the idea is to absorb the reflection equally across all frequencies If you just absorb the highs andleave the mids stil reflecting and responding you can make the room worse.

At least use 4" thick foam or rockwool and mount it away from the wall so there’s a 4" gap behind it, or at the least 2" gap. Absorption right next to the wall does nothing as there’s no air moving there, so its’ waste of material

Is your “studio build blog” still up somewhere?

At least use 4" thick foam or rockwool and mount it away from the wall so there’s a 4" gap behind it, or at the least 2" gap. Absorption right next to the wall does nothing as there’s no air moving there, so its’ waste of material

Unless killing some of the highs is what you are trying to do. I hung a panel of OC 703 I made in my living room that was 2" thick and 4’ x 4’ built in a frame that actually makes contact with the wall but leaves a little space behind the fibreglass and it increased the bass in the room by killing some of the highs and mids. This is what I was trying to do in that room though because it has a cathedral ceiling and tile floors.

It should be here

http://forum.studiotips.com/viewforum.php?f=1

, but coincidentally over the last week or so the forum has been unavailable.

I just noticed you changed your signature quote Doug,

“The human voice is BY FAR the most expressive instrument there is and is the primary vehicle of musical communication. To strain at “perfection” is really to dilute the essential humanity of the performer… as well as the essence of humanity itself.” – Doug Hazelrigg

so perhaps with what it states now, a portion of this spectral discussion may be moot? :wink: :astonished: :laughing:

Doug, if you don’t want to make your own check these out:

http://www.acousticsaudio.com/PROD/KIN-HARDSIDE-24.html

I use some Kinetics hard side panels and they are great.

Doug, I built myself 4 x 2ft x 4ft x 4inch absorbers which were simple batten frames holding in slabs of rockwool (which come in 4x2x4in slabs here in the UK) I then covered these with that white breathable fleece you see gardeners use to wrap tender plants in the winter, wrapping them like christmas presents and stapling the fleece to the battens. this made an effective barrier to any stray particles from the rockwool, Finally we found some attractive blue fabric (again breathable - got to let air through to make the absorption work)

I put 1 inch spacers on the backs to give a bit of an air gap to aid the LF response and some picture hanging wire, and then just screwed hooks into the walls to hang them on.

These were placed at mirror points either side of the mix position and another pair two feet back. Hanging these was like getting a new pair of monitors, my stereo imaging is much more stable and I have a much less noticeable change in LF response around the room.

I’ve now bought enough rockwool and coverings to make another pair, one for the rear wall and one for the ceiling above the mix position.

I should add that the whole project was about £50 worth of materials and a couple of Saturday morning’s work

You see can one pair of thems here:

And a lavalamp :smiley:

Thanks Paul! That’s a pretty cool analogy ( light bulbs and mirrors).
I will give that a shot.

Best regards,

Krist Hochburger

Cool :slight_smile:

Remember it only works for about 150Hz up.

Bass is omnidirectional in small rooms and acts more like a pressure wave ( and it’s here you need the bulk of your absorption in order to damp the standing waves, with the resultant flattening of the bass/lo-mid freq response across the room and just importantly tightening of the bass

Yeah, my primary concern in my room is bass at the mix position – it’s almost non-existent. Then, I’ll play the same music on another system like my car and it sounds fine (it also sounds fine if I listen from another room)

You need a big volume of absorption to damp the standing wave(s) that is causing the dip in bass response at hte mix position. The bass will then return to your mix position.

Right – but this thread has been mostly about absorbing the higher freq reflections… any advice on products or DIY to correct bass problems?

Yup what I just said above.

Which was

You need a big volume of absorption to damp the standing wave(s) that is causing the dip in bass response at hte mix position. The bass will then return to your mix position.

I’m not sure what this means, however… Do you mean " a lot of the 2x4 type absorption panels" or something different? I ask because I was dimly aware that to get good bass absorption you needed to have big, free-standing baffle-type dealies…?