"Jive Turkey" - Simple Funk Groove

Here’s one I’ve been working on the last couple days. I’ve been trying to get a little more of an “open” sound with some high end bite. Did I take it too far? Comments on the mix would be appreciated as always.

http://soundcloud.com/scab-pickens/jive-turkey

soundin fine here, diggin it. nice bottom on the bass, can’t make up my mind whether the kick should have a touch more oomph.

Yeah nice, I like it too. That’s some fine drumming there, good job!

Thanks for listening, guys. I’m glad you liked it.

I was thinking the kick could possibly come up a notch, too. I’ll have another listen with fresh ears.

Superior Drummer makes it too easy :laughing: !

Sounds pretty funky, you’re pretty good on the superior! It’s another groove in search of a song.

Thanks for checking it out. I promise the next thing I post will have vocals :smiley: .

Did you use rhythms from SD or did you program it yourself. If the latter, my point still stands :wink:

I let the good folks at Toontrack do the dirty work. The arrangement and processing is all I can take credit for. One of these days I should probably try to work on some real drum programming I guess. So much to learn, so little time.

Ah fair enough, still sounds great for those unaware :wink:

Crazy name, crazy groove!

Very enjoyable groove, sounds really good. You could put a vocal line or a guitar or a blues harp over this. Or a mix of all three.

And seriously, that’s a great name for a tune.

I also agree with what other people have said - the drums sound excellent.

Steve.

Thanks so much for listening and for the feedback, Steve. I really appreciate it.

Scott

Nice! 1972 all over again

I’m wanting a bit more drums overall

Hey Doug! I had to do a little searching for this but it was worth it … :smiley:

I’ll have another listen. I think after posting a few things with “the drums are a bit loud” style comments I’ve intentionally been toning them down. Maybe I need to find a happy medium. Bob did say maybe a little more kick and I was also thinking along those lines.

Once again … killer 'fro, bro!

Big and bad enough to scare small children! :smiling_imp:

Yeah, seriously funky/groovy! I can hear a scatty kinda vocal thing happening on this :sunglasses:

Thanks for listening, Ian. I’ve had a few little vocal ideas going on for this. I’ll have to see where it goes.

BTW, I have been listening to the tunes you’ve been posting but haven’t had anything too brilliant to say. I don’t feel like I have enough knowledge to be criticizing the works of others very often - but I do enjoy your music!

Yeah, great groove! :sunglasses:

Definitely finish this! :slight_smile:

Very cool and funky!

Yes you must. It needs a great 70’s sax part! :slight_smile:

Thanks, Wim!

Thanks for listening, Dave! I think I’ll let this rest in it’s current state and come back to it later and see what I might be able to add for some more flavor. Some horns might be nice.

Very Funky, Drums need to be a bit tighter…I’m not crazy about fade in as I think it should hit hard from the go…great track though!

Thanks for checking it out, Kenny. I was kind of going back and forth on the fade in, too. A simple enough change to make since it’s just drums during that part. I appreciate your comments.

Scott