Just installed 1.2 update for Windows but no sounds.

G’day everyone.

I have just installed 1.2 and reset the computer.

Now I can’t get any sounds.

See attachment.

Help needed please.

Thank you.

It’s good that the ‘Allow ASIO…’ checkbox should be unchecked, because otherwise no other application running on your computer at the same time as Dorico would be able to make any sounds. To pre-empt Ulf, who will surely pop up to help soon, please create a new project with a piano in it, add a few notes, then save it, and zip it up and attach it here. Please also do Help > Create Diagnostic Report, which will create a zip file on your desktop, and attach that here too.

Hi Paul,
the advice given by Daniel is certainly right.
But I can also see what is fundamentaly wrong in your setup, namely that in the list of output ports not a single item appears. Input ports, yes, but they don’t matter for Dorico.
So if the driver can’t detect any output ports, then it doesn’t know where to shovel the audio data out to and consequently no sound.

So what to do?
First, close Dorico.
Next, on the Windows taskbar you should see a little speaker item.
Right click on it and choose from the pop-up menu “Playback Devices”.
Click on the Speaker item and the button for Properties (on the right bottom) becomes active.
Click that, another window opens.
There, switch to the Advanced tab.
In the box for the Default Format is a drop down list with all available sample rates and bit depths.
Switch to “16 bit, 44100 Hz (CD Quality)”, then restart Dorico
Does playback work already again?
If not, got to Device Setup again, see if the sample rate there matches 44100Hz.
Also, check again the Device Control Panel. Do now output ports get listed? Please post another screenshot.

Hi Daniel and Ulf. Thank you for your very quick responses.

I have tried to follow your advice Ulf, but I can’t get any sounds at all.

Here are some screen shots.

Thank you for your assistance.

Paul.

Update.

When I create a new score = piano, the piano sounds load, and I can play the piano on the screen keyboard. The meter shows that sounds are playing, but I don’t get any sounds.

Here is my minimalist piano masterpiece with Dorico Diagnostics.

Thank you.
minimalist piano.zip (308 KB)
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (313 KB)

If you have metering bouncing in the HALion Sonic window, that is already a very good sign. That means the audio engine is running and does produce audio. We now just have to get it out to the audio device…
I’m taking a look now at your data, will come back soon…

Paul, I don’t know your sound chip or device that you have there, but according to the log data everything is normal and set up properly.
The log says
2017-12-06 22:56:20 : => port Speakers (ASUS Xonar DX Audi 1 (id 7)
2017-12-06 22:56:20 : => port Speakers (ASUS Xonar DX Audi 2 (id 8)

So, to that “ASUS Xonar DX” the audio output of Dorico will get directed. Since the HALion metering is bouncing I have no doubt, this is what’s happening.
Is it possible that on the operating system side the device is muted or disabled?

And other programs you can hear via that device, e.g. watching YouTube via browser?

Also, remember to unhook the option “Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control” in the Device Control Panel.

Hi Ulf.

Youtube works with sounds.

My other music typesetting program works with sounds.

My DAW works with sounds.

Not quite sure what you mean by unhook the option “Allow ASIO host application to take exclusive control” in the Device Control Panel.

Here is a screen dump of what I have done.

Thank you.

Paul.

Yes, that’s what I meant with “unhook”, but as I can see from the screenshot, when you do that - yet again - the list of output ports is empty (and thus no chance to get sound).

Now, please do following:

• Restart your computer
  • Don’t start any other application
  • Do the same thing as adviced before: loud speaker icon > Playback Devices > Properties > Advanced tab > set default format 44100Hz
  • Start Dorico, go to Device Setup, in there set sample rate to 44100Hz
  • Open the Device Control Panel
    Do output ports get listed now? Is “Allow ASIO host exclusive control” ticked?

Also, if you’re using a laptop. Test with AC connected. I’ve notice on some laptops that the power-saving functions are messing with ASIO sine Win Fall Creators update came. I would also test making your audio buffer size as big as possible initially to see if there is a buffering issue.