Just not getting the pre/post thing

Hi, Reading a Sound on Sound article about reverb and it’s saying a reverb send should be post fader so that if the vocal fader is reduced then the reverb effect is reduced relatively so the level of reverb does not stay high when the vocal is reduced…but if I set the reverb send from my vocal track to post and then reduce the vocal track to zero all I can hear is the reverb…is does not reduce with the fader as is suggested…
however if the send is set to pre it seems to work as the article says…so it seems to be the wrong way round… :confused: :confused:

why am I not getting this :question: what am I doing wrong :question:

thanks for any info…

best, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

The article is spot on Kevin… either something in your system is mis-labled or you’re mixing your pre/post button up…the pre/post button in cubase can be a little fiddly…being colour blind myself i had to toggle it a few times to know which is which…
HTH!

Sends are post fader by default in Cubase, so clicking the little Pre/Post Fader button is actually making the send come pre-fader.

Thanks for the help guys…didn’t know the sends were defaulted to post fader…
what’s confusing me is…on the sends there is a pre/post fader indication and a half circle symbol on the left which suggests to my simple mind that they are set at pre (because it matches the pre/post help flash that appears) and to have them at post I would need to move the half circle symbal to the right…
If they are defaulted to post why is the half circle indicator on the left matching the pre/post flash info :question:

this is Cubase 8.5…I keep having a look at it now and again but cannot use it because it will not shut down…another story in another post but no problem because 8.35 is working great…

thanks for any further clarification on this issue… :slight_smile:

best, Kevin :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

I agree, the signage is confusing. The colors are too, being quite similar (reminds me of how confusingly similar the VariAudio “active” vs “bypassed” colors are).

You can change the colors in the prefs.

Seem to remember Sir Dancealot having problems with pre and post :slight_smile: