just ordered my version of H4 ,have I done the right thing ?

Ive been trying to decide for the last couple of weeks for what software sampler to buy and I must say I was thinking of Kontakt 5 but not at their website price and non of the instruments in complete 8 or 9 interested me at all . the thing that won me over was the integration with Cubase and wavelab for the bits halion lacks ,like editing starts and ends of samples . im still up in the air about this ,all ive wanted a sampler for is to trigger multi vocal samples that I have had kicking around since 1835 ( :laughing: ) .So im just wondering how you lovely fella’s are with your halion 4 with Cubase 7 ?

john

Halion 4 has been my absolute best investment when it comes to my music in a long, long time. It has completely replaced everything else I was using and now my projects consist solely of Cubase 7, Halion 4.5 and my UAD plugins. Nothing more. Seriously. The very logical layout of the GUI, the fully customizable windows and tabs makes it a breeze to personalize to your liking for a very quick and easy workflow. The latest version is very stable without any issues and well, it just works and it works well! The note expression is an absolute God send for automating pitch, volume and well just about any other parameter in Halion 4 which can be assigned to a midi CC, which is just about everything. The sound quality I find is very good, though I make much older sounding music, which wasn’t about ‘sounding hifi’ anyways.

Are there shortcomings? Yes, of course, there are a good few, but nothing at all that would stop you from working beginning to end on a project, while having a lot of fun in the progress. I am confident things will only get better with future updates and upgrades.

I think you have made a very wise decision in getting Halion 4. Spend some time to get used to it and you will be smiling in no time, of that I am sure!

If you need any help, I can try and be of assistance, just hit me up. I may not know all the intricacies, but I can find my way around fairly well.

Best of luck!

I’ve used H4 a lot. Personally, I simply adore the NE (Note Expression) integration into the newer VST3(.5+) instruments. Another core thing I like is the way that “the tree” was decided to be used as a component structure of the synthesizer is great, easy to view, though maybe for some, a bit difficult to get used to. If you are used to tree views, like a folder/file explorer or maybe in software development, it shouldn’t be difficult to get the hang of it.

And like Cantankerous already pointed out, the GUI in general is very logical in that the layout has been very segmented (too much for some, I’m sure) but as far as I am concerned it’s gold. Not a bunch of filler stuff or waste of space, just functionality UI.

And like C, there are some things that I would like to have in H4, but by no means show stoppers. I would love more sample looping options, granular synthesis (a’la Padshop) functionality, etc. I love when I can do entirely new things, twist things in new ways, not just the same thing I did in the last plug-in I used. New functionality inspire new sounds.

Again, like C… hmmm… I might has well wrote that I agree with C. :smiley: Well no, I really wanted to assert what he said, and I agree in thinking that you have decided wisely.

Cheers guys

Yes im looking forward to receiving my copy tomorrow ,ive been dragging and dropping in and out of wavelab >Cubase and back all day making some samples ready :wink:
Note expression i’ll have a play with that but the last time I tried in hsse it was doing some strange things and wasn’t playing back as expected .
This is a another reason ,the total integration between all three programs ,no other company gives you that amount of audio manipulation in the world . :wink:
The presets and the synth im not to interested in but what you say( Elektrobolt )about the tree im looking forward to seeing how one gets on with that , it looks very simple and logical as does most of halion 4 but the place that i’ll more than likely come unstuck is the mega trig , but im sure after time i’ll get my head round it .
One more thing ,does the 4.5 update install straight on top of h4 as normal ?

regards
john

Yes the update goes right over top np. Megatrig I still don’t understand and am able to get by just fine without it. I actually only use it for one thing and I had to have a kind fellow on here hold my hand more than once, just to get it right! :laughing:

not much to say apart from

WOW im very very impressed , install and update went nearly perfect, only had to move the flexphrase files about but again the info was straight at hand to do this .
The engine sounds absolutely spot on , im loving the audiowarp feature ,that’s something ive missed since getting rid of my VP9000 .
Steinberg im glad ive jumped on board with this one I can now advertise those 5 akai and emu samplers for £50 each on a well known auction site :unamused:

Im very impressed well done !

The note expression is an absolute God send for automating pitch, volume and well just about any other parameter in Halion 4 which can be assigned to a midi CC, which is just about everything. The sound quality I find is very good, though I make much older sounding music, which wasn’t about ‘sounding hifi’ anyways.

Hey guys, could someone tell me exactly what this is all about? I’ve been interested in upgrading to HS4, but can’t find too much about it, what’s this whole Note Expression about?

http://www.cubasetutorial.net/category/cubase-tutorials/note-expression/

thnx dudes! I’m gonna go and download the HS4 demo tomorrow or so, and check it aus :wink:

Only Cubase 6.5 and halion 4 with halion symphonic orchestra inside

http://snd.sc/11r0EUT

I’m very happy…!

Goodness… very beautiful indeed; love the section from 2.15 onwards… :slight_smile:

NOW THIS IS REAL MUSIC! Great job! Stuff like this stirs up real emotion with me and I am glad you shared this with us, so thank you and please keep up the great work!

Thanks Puma0382 and Cantankeous!

As I said before, I’m very very happy only with halion 4 and, of course, Cubase… Halion allow me to manage all my work with a single application, that is extremely versatile, functional and fully integrated with cubase.

galaxi