Just to confirm on how to move Dorico between computers

Hello -

I saw this post from Daniel from 4 years ago, and have looked through a few recent ones, but just wanted to quickly confirm this:

• I have Dorico running on one laptop as a downloaded version, and using the soft e-licenser via the activation key.
  • In order to move Dorico to another computer, I need to purchase the Steinberg key.
  • One I have the key, I will need to transfer the soft e-licenser to the USB e-licenser.
  • After that, for whichever copy of Dorico that I would like to use, I’ll need to have the USB e-licenser plugged into the computer first.

Does this all sound correct at the moment?

Thank you!

George

No, George, I’m happy to say you don’t need the USB-eLicenser to move Dorico to another computer. All you need to do is:

– First, make sure you have registered your Soft-eLicenser on your current computer in MySteinberg.
Download and install Dorico on your new computer (that link is for the current version 3.5, but there are similar pages for older versions).
– On your new computer, sign in to MySteinberg and follow this procedure to request a new activation code for your new computer.

What happens is that your registered Soft-eLicenser will now be the one on your new computer, and the one on your old computer will be deregistered. The software will still continue to run on your old computer, but you won’t be able to reactivate it on there, or update it to the next version of Dorico. Your active license will then be on your new computer.

There’s no need to transfer the license to the USB-eLicenser at all, and if you don’t want to use the USB-eLicenser forever (or at least until Dorico moves to the planned future licensing system that won’t use the USB-eLicenser), then I would strongly advise against transferring the license to the USB-eLicenser.

Is this quick enough that you could use one computer in the morning, and another in the afternoon? So I guess I’d be doing two deactivation requests each day?

What can I do if I already have my license on a USB key? I moved it because it was my understanding that you can’t transfer software licenses between computers. Sounds like that may not be the case though.

The Soft-eLicenser reactivation process is not meant to be used on a regular basis. Definitely not two times daily.

Once a license is on the USB-eLicenser it is not possible to move it back to the Soft-eLicenser.

Damn, well there goes my use case. I was going to get the USB until the fabled modern licensing system comes along, but I’m stuck using it on one computer.

Thanks, Daniel. I think my use case is more like RedtideMusic; I bought one copy of Dorico, but would like to use it at the office and also at home.

Daniel: if I deactivated the license on my home computer, will Dorico still fully function (except can’t upgrade, etc as you mentioned)?

Thanks!

Yes, Dorico will continue to function just fine on the old computer. The only issue is, as you say, that you can’t later update that copy. (You could of course always update on your new computer, then use the reactivation process in reverse to bring the new version to your old machine later on…)

Thanks for the explanations. I succeeded with reactivation on my new pc by looking at youtube videos and write the explanation down. But that’s for me not always clear. So I upgraded my english language knowledge too. :yum: by translating. But thanks nevertheless.