Just to understand better: Why do midi tracks not follow "Tapemachine style" concerning monitoring

I kind of agree on audio tracks.

On audio tracks SB have never allowed 2 audio sources (lanes) to sound at the same time and I wouldn’t find this useful (personally) - but as Steve mentioned earlier that’s what he prefers when punching in.

Totally agree with tapemachine on midi though :+1:

I’d sure like to see “Tape Machine Style Monitoring” for MIDI as well. During recording I mix Audio and MIDI tracks, e.g. Drummics with a MIDI-Kick. So when I punch in I get different monitoring behavior for Kick / Rest. In the preroll you hear two kicks (playback + input) - very annoying. Haven’t been able to come up with a really good solution. Either “let it happen” or “try to quickly mute the recorded MIDI part” when I notice the drummer starts playing before the punch in point.

You know, I’ve never though about it until @Elien brought it up.

+1 for one less click, unless there are good reasons against it.

I think that there are no good reasons against it – because it could be implemented as an option like e.g. „use monitoring options for midi tracks yes/no”.

Cheers, Ernst

image001.jpg

1 Like

haha -in a perfect world, absolutely yes! :+1:

So I ll write a feature request :slight_smile:
Ernst

2 Likes

I found another thing that I had not discovered before: THere is a setting under Record-MIDI (Preferences) that is by default NOT ticked - it is called “Record enable allows MIDI through”.
This as a result leads to the same result (logically) which we get on audio tracks when selecting the appropriate “monitoring style”.
So there actually IS some kind of consistence, but very well hidden…

1 Like

interesting and a good find - and looking at the manual it seems to do the opposite of what you’d think:?

Record-Enable allows MIDI Thru

Activate this option if you do not want record-enabled MIDI or instrument tracks to echo incoming MIDI data. This prevents hearing doubled notes on record-enabled tracks to which a VST instrument is assigned.

so this actually ‘disables’ midi through when it selected unless it’s rec-enabled ?

I need to give this a go to get my head around it :slight_smile:

I alluded to that in one of the first posts in this topic. I’m not sure that it’s “hidden” any more than any other pref. I’ve always thought that it was one of the very basic settings in the sequencer.

1 Like

definitely not hidden - and mine is ticked which I assume is default as I’ve never changed it ?

it’s not a solution to the ‘tape machine style’ monitoring. What it does is decouples the record button and the ‘input monitor button’ so that you can’t ‘input monitor’ unless you physically select that.

So doesn’t help and your request is still valid

Hm, I think the description in the manual is wrong - it is just the other way round: when i select the option midi through is active as soon as I record enable the midi track. When I record-disable the midi track there is no midi through active. As far as I see it, this helps in my situation - even though it is not “tape machine style” …

1 Like

Yes, this is how I use it. (though it’s rare for me to record others via midi )

Actually, I hit Record with the track not record-armed and I wait for the punch in moment, and manually hit R to arm the track.

But the idea of having it be automatic is a good one.

1 Like

no, I agree - it was the ‘default being unticked’ part that led me think that :). I think the default is ‘ticked’ though. - so I agree the description is wrong…and it’s the other way round

I suspect it’s there for those who trigger with a keyboard that also has the sounds they are using and are unable use midi ‘local off’ on the keyboard - basically disables the ‘through’ when recording.

1 Like

I use it along with the pref Enable Record on Selected MIDI Track and just a Fatar keyboard controller (no sounds of its own)

Interesting how wide the variety of use-cases and working styles is. And also how much I’m influenced by whatever-I’ve-learned-first. It was Cubase VST 5, I remember having that pref- though I bet it was on Atari…

2 Likes

yes, and I think that’s the sign of a mature and fully featured product. Everybody has their own workflow - Like you, I was there in the 80s with an Atari, and there are still features of Cubase that I have never used.

2 Likes

Ha… I have been on Atari as well J**… still in love with Cubase … even though sometimes I am just … confused ;o)**

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

1 Like