Just Upgraded Vista to Win7 - Ho Hum.....

I just did an in place upgrade to Win 7 64 bit Ultimate from Vista 64 bit Ultimate SP2 and everything went unbelievably smoothly. I had no real issues whatsoever. Everything still works, including ALL of my Vista hardware drivers. Cubase itself works 100% as it did. I did not have to reinstall ANYTHING. I had to reregister a few plug-ins that considered a change in OS to be a change in the machine (NI most notably), but that was no big deal either. Come to think of it - I haven’t tried anything from Waves - I’m sure I’ll have issues there because they always suck.

That said, other than small taskbar differences and a few very minor additions like libraries, Win 7 is really just Vista. Those of you that said that Vista sucked and Win 7 is great are completely insane. :stuck_out_tongue: I see no real performance or functional differences that make me more efficient in any way. That fact that all of my Vista hardware drivers still work 100% tells me that not a lot has happened to the kernal. I liked Vista a lot when other where saying how bad it was, and I still like Win7 because it’s the same friggin’ thing.

I love the fact that people think Win7 is so different than Vista. Jeez - what marketing hype will do these days. :slight_smile:

Upgrade is the last route I’d go. Nothing less than a wipe and fresh install would do. :wink:

No wonder you still need Freeze. :unamused: :mrgreen:

What … no BSODs yet?

I don’t see how it is possible to build a DAW, and load it up with a bunch of VST and VSTi plugs … with all manner of copy-protection schemes from a dozen different application vendors … and not get a single BSOD! Are you certain you’ve done everything correctly? I’d be worried if I were you. :wink:

Um, Win7 IS Vista. No need to spend the time to reinstall 75+ programs AND their upgrades AND their data AND all hardware drivers AND re-register everything, including some vendors that have gone out of business. It took me 6 hours to upgrade vs the 3 weeks or so it would take with a clean install.

I’d like to see someone actually prove to me that a clean install is that much better. Things like this hark back to conditions that existed 10+ years ago, and people just say the same thing over and over without actually reassessing the CURRENT situation. The in-place upgrade worked 100%. I’m having no issues at all.

So why would I do a clean install again? :unamused:

BSOD = Blue Screen of Death?

NO, why would I? I didn’t get any with Vista either. What does having a bunch of VSTi’s and copy protection schemes have to do with anything?

Speaking from my experience:

Start with a stable computer; with no BSOD.

Add applications.

Then comes the Blue Screen of Death.

What changed?

Installing the VST/VSTi applications is what changed!

All of them have some form of CP scheme; dongles, serial numbers, challenge/response, iLok, hardware cards (UAD). All of it is fully licensed and registered.

One of those VSTi’s (a NI product) causes Cubase 5 (latest build, 32 bit, running under Win7 64 bit) to quit on launch. I remove the .dll from the VST folder and the problem vanishes.

What causes Cubase 5 to freeze on quit? It didn’t happen before installing the plugs. It does after. Task Manager has become my friend.

I don’t have a problem with copy protection, and understand the necessity for it. But it isn’t without some unfortunate and painful side-effects. It seems enduring BSODs is often necessary on the road to getting a DAW stable enough to use. That has been my unhappy experience, and that’s where I’m coming from at this point.

i7 950
Win7 64
Asus mobo
6 GB RAM
2 TB SATA drives (4)
Cubase 5 (latest build) 32 bit

All the crap in the registry would be one major reason. Having an image of a perfect install and applying the upgrade to that would be half acceptable. When buying a new car, would you keep the seats from the old as they were comfy? Would you keep the old motor because it ran? The old tires as they weren’t flat? :wink:

All the words quoted above translate down to one, for me. Lazyness. :mrgreen:

You may have some bad RAM.

It is possible that particular VSTi is accessing a portion of high RAM that is unstable.

Have you run memtest86 on all three RAM modules separately?

I have not run memtest … it’s a brand new custom made box (I did not build it).

I suppose anything is possible. But some traditional RAM hogs … Superior Drummer 2, Spectrasonics, LinPlug Organ and Saxlab, GForce impOSCar, Jamstix 3, and Groove Agent 3 … all loaded up in a project did not crash it (which is impressive in it’s own right).

The BSODs occurred when activating/registering copy protection protocols/devices … and randomly since then.

Worst of all … my beloved XPhraze and D’Cota plugs were rudely, and summarily, kicked out by Win7 which refused to even acknowledge their existence. Not even so much as a “Ahhhh dear friends … it’s nice to see you again … but alas … we’ve changed the dress-code around here and … well … this is embarrassing … but I can’t let you in anymore.” :wink:

Well, you can certainly convince yourself that it’s my laziness. :wink:

But I have a extremely stable Win 7 environment that functions perfectly with everything working, never a Cubase freeze or slowdown, never a BSOD. So that’s the FACT. Yeah, I guess I could have spent three weeks instead of 6 hours to POSSIBLY get the same result if I was an idiot. :stuck_out_tongue:

Glad it’s working for you Tony. I thought Win 7 was Vista when I first saw it. My Mum has Win 7 on her laptop. Does the job I guess and there’s a dramatic reduction in that “Are you sure?” crap that permeated through Vista.

I suppose the acid test is can you record stuff OK and do the plugs work OK? Especially on one of your epic songs :smiley:

Cubase and all plugs are working great so far, as well as they did on Vista, although I haven’t tested the Waves stuff which usually gives me headaches.

As for the Vista “are you sure” dialogs, that’s just the User Access Control annoyance. The first thing I did when I installed Vista was to turn that completely off, so I never had that issue. Took me like 3 seconds. :slight_smile: I never had any security issues, that’s what my anti-virus / anti-spyware software is for.

The BSOD screen usually gives a name of the module that killed it.

You should make note of that and bring it. What is actually throwing the exception?

I noticed a HUGE speed increase after installing Win7 64 from Vista 32. Was a clean install (you can’t upgrade 32 to 64) so I wouldn’t know how much I had noticed had I upgraded. Point being that W7 is definately not the same as Vista.

Note how Vista had only been on there for 2 weeks as well, so both were ‘clean’.

What KIND of “huge” spped increase? Did you measure that in some objective way? I’ve not seen any reports that show where Win7 is all that much faster than Vista SP2. Maybe 2%.

Win7 is basically the same as Vista. Sorry - it just is. The same kernel with some extra stuff and maybe a slightly leaner footprint, but certainly nothing earthshattering.

The switch from a 32 bit to a 64 bit OS brings with it a big speed increase.

A lot more than 2%.

I went from Win XP to Win 7 64-bit, bypassing Vista. My mom’s computer has Vista and it is quite lethargic (she has 2 GB RAM). I had to do a fresh install since I was going from 32-bit to 64-bit; however, this did not require a “wipe” but the installation allowed me to overwrite the old installation and actually saved all my directories in an “Old Windows” folder which was nice (after a point you can delete this folder).

I won’t say Win 7 is “faster” but it definitely has more headroom. Projects laden with RAM-hungry vsti’s and sample libraries that used to tax Win XP now run effortlessly under Win 7. My understanding is that by installing Win 7 64-bit, I was able to access about 500MB more of RAM using Cubase 32-bit, which only helped.

Just now, I’m starting to use Cubase 64-bit exclusively, and the available headroom will be even greater.

However: I agree there’s a lot of marketing hype here. It’s true Win 7 is built on the Vista foundation. Given this fact, I feel the upgrade pricing is a bit steep – should be more around $50 instead of $100+. But what can you do. :laughing:

Well for starters the boottime of Win7 was at least half of vista’s. It took minutes to boot with vista, and merely half a minute for Win7 if not less.
Other than that I found win7 just gave a more fluent experience. Wether that’s because reduced loading times or less interupting messages I don’t know, all I know is that I was reliefed I got rid of Vista. I had always used XP and the laptop came with Vista. I used Vista for 2 weeks and was horrified by how slow it was. Win 7 was about on par with XP speedwise, but the entire UI is much better.

64 bit really has almost nothing to do with speed - it about additional addressable RAM. You will generally NOT get a speed increase going from 32 bit to 64 bit. 32 bit apps will not see any speed improvement. 64 bit apps may or may not see a speed improvements depending on how well they are optimized to a 64 bit OS. The speed advantage of moving data 64 bits at a time is usually offset by the extra processing power it takes to process 64 bits at a time, plus In some cases, 64-bit applications on a 64-bit OS may actually perform slower because every pointer is not 64-bits long instead of 32-bits and moving the additional data around may result in a slight slowdown. For most apps, the speed difference between 32 vs 64 bits is negligable.

Sure, whatever Spanky.

You sure do have a high opinion of yourself, even if you don’t know what you’re talking about.