Keep Expression Map in Library

I’m sure that the post already exists. So please take my apologies - I couldn’t find it.

Is there any way to keep my created Expressions Maps in my expression-map-library so that I don’t have to add it again every time I start a new project?

Thanx

Play > Expression Maps > Import and Export Library.

Of course I did that. But every time I start a new project, I have to import all of my OWN libraries again. And it would be cool if I could avoid that.

You could use the same mechanism that NotePerformer uses to insert its expression and percussion maps into new projects: export all of your custom expression maps from Play > Expression Maps, then create a folder called e.g. “Peer” in /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 2/DefaultLibraryAdditions, and put your .doricolib file in there.

Great ! Just did it - and it works fine :slight_smile: Thanx

Hi Daniel. Does this work in Dorico 3 as well? Is it the same location?

Thanks.

You can do this in Dorico 3 if you want, though a better approach is to create a playback template and then specify that as your default playback template in Preferences, because Dorico will then load all of the required parts when you start a new project (or apply that playback template to an existing project). But you can use that existing mechanism, yes, and the folder for Dorico 3 is /Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 3/DefaultLibraryAdditions.

I noticed that Techniques added to a default expression map, residing in the DefaultLibraryAdditions folder, are not saved into the default expression map. They are still only saved in the project.

Is this how it is supposed to work? If so, the correct way to keep the default expression maps up-to-date is to export a project expression map after having edited it, and replace it to the default expression map.

Maybe I would have preferred Dorico to ask me if I want to save the default expression map, when I leave the Expression Maps dialog after having edited it.

Paolo

I noticed that Techniques added to a default expression map, residing in the DefaultLibraryAdditions folder, are not saved into the default expression map. They are still only saved in the project.

Is this how it is supposed to work? If so, the correct way to keep the default expression maps up-to-date is to export a project expression map after having edited it, and replace it to the default expression map.

Maybe I would have preferred Dorico to ask me if I want to save the default expression map, when I leave the Expression Maps dialog after having edited it.

Paolo

Dorico will only export playback playing techniques when you export a playback template.

Daniel hello,
Would be nice if add this information in the Manual. Many people would like to add their E.Ms to DefaultLibraryAdditions folder. :slight_smile:
Personally I wasn’t able to find any information about that in the Documentation.

Thank you in advance! :slight_smile:

Best wishes,
Thurisaz

Hi,

Is there something new, in v3.5, about Library Expression Maps? I see they are not automatically copied to the program’s library, so I wonder if there is some new technique replacing the old one.

Are there some more details about how Library and Project Expression Maps and Playback Template work, and are related between them? I’m a bit slow, but this seems to be a quite complicate matter. If what is in the manual is considered enough, I’ll study it more carefully.

Paolo

There are no significant changes to the way that expression maps and playback templates work or relate to each other in Dorico 3.5. You can refer to the Dorico 3.1.10 Version History for details of how expression maps and playback templates relate. I don’t recommend the use of the DefaultLibraryAdditions folder: you should use playback templates instead.

Daniel, got it, thank you.

However, sorry, but I have still another question.

1. I have enabled a custom Playback Template.
  2. This custom Playback Template is associated to one or more custom Expression Maps.
  3. I edit the custom Expression Maps.

Are the Expression Maps automatically saved as global data, as the Playback Templates are?

Paolo

Just an impression after a few operations with playback templates and expression maps.

• When editing PT and EM, and saving the edited endpoint configurations (with the workflow described by Paul W. in his ongoing article on EM), recalling the PT for a new score also recalls the edited EM.

• When recalling a PT including edited EM in an existing score, it seems that the EM are not updated.

Is there a way to force update of EM in an existing score? Would only the change in EM version number allow this?

Paolo

It’s not possible to do this at the moment, but it’s something we want to improve in the future. There is a wider issue with how items in the default library update items in the project that we need to address.

Paul, nice to know you are working on it! Thanx!

Paolo

Can someone remind me where default expression maps are stored directory wise on Windows 10 - i seem to have forgotten :grinning: many many thanks.

Default expression maps, as in the ones that Dorico comes with? They are stored in the main application installation folder in Program Files, but you shouldn’t mess with them.

1 Like