Keep Text Frame in Flow

I created
Flow ‘B’ on page 1 and inserted a text frame on flow ‘B’.
I also have enabled ‘start new page’ for every new flow.
Now I create flow ‘A’ and want to move it in front of flow ‘B’. So flow ‘A’ becomes page 1 and flow ‘B’ becomes page 2.
What happens is, that my text frame which I created on flow ‘B’ stays on page 1 and doesn’t move together with flow ‘B’ to page 2.
Is there a possibility to move the text frame together with the flow - so linking the text frame to the flow? Or do I have to create a new MasterPage for that?

Any local edits are locked to that page number. Page overrides are evil, always use a custom Master Page.

I was afraid of this answer - sometimes I end up creating a new Master Page for just small adjustments.

One strange thing happens which is not so nice: I understand the logic behind it, but still…
If I create Master Page ‘A’ with a Text-Frame and some written text in it and I create Master Page ‘B’ ‘based on Master Page ‘A’’ - whenever I change the text in Master Page ‘A’, the text in Master Page ‘B’ is changed, too. I can’t ‘overwrite’ the text frame. I have to create a completely new text frame for Master Page ‘B’ if I want to change the text within the text frame.
I think it would be more handy if you create Master Pages ‘…based on…’ that the text within the text frame is NOT copied to the new Master Page.

The difficulty is that you probably do want to retain text like
{@pagenumber@}
{@projectComposer@} and
{@flowTitle@}
You may also want to retain things such as
music arranged by

…which means that Dorico discarding anything that wasn’t a token would be really irritating.

The current situation is at least predictable, once you’ve got over the initial hurdle of understanding the limitations.

Yes, an unlink function for text frames would be a nice feature.

2 Likes

I understand Leo, but all this are tokens. So maybe there could be a compromise to keep all token text and unlink everything else…

This ^^^ is not a token.

Unlinking is a different matter, of course, but no-one had mentioned that before my previous reply.

Plus, maybe, a subtle indication that a text frame is still linked to its original. Or the other way round: an indication it’s not linked anymore. No idea how to represent it graphically, but maybe someone comes up with an icon that anybody could understand right away… At least it would be an improvement for learners of Dorico to show that there is such a thing as inheriting properties from one frame to another. People will wonder what the icon means and look it up. It shouldn’t be so arcane and unexpected.

:slight_smile: We both know Leo, that every text which you want to keep is possible to express with tokens plus the project-info-box
{@projectarranger@} :wink:

This is getting silly. There are situations where it’s helpful to be able to be able to have plain text in a master page.

Look - here’s one:

The word “Cue” is not a token, and is the same for all 27 flows in this project, across four different master pages (and a few different types of flow heading).

Why am I using a separate frame?
Because it saves me a couple of tab marks on every single instance of the project info field that’s used in the text frame to the right.

Consider a situation where in a single frame you have:
“composed by x
arranged by y”

You don’t want to have to put “composed by” in the Project Info dialog, because then if, say, you want just the composer’s name in the running header, you’d need to use a different Project Info field for that. It would become a duplication of work for every flow rather than an increase of work each time you create a new Master Page. At least in my work, I create many more Flows than Master Pages.

Just because this situation doesn’t apply to you doesn’t mean that other people don’t take advantage of it on a daily basis.

Thank you.

P.S. I’m not disagreeing with your request for a way to unlink the content of text frames.

1 Like

I imagine a little red triangle in the upper left corner of the frame would be one way. :laughing: