Key change at end of a piece in

I have searched the forum but only see a response from 2018 so I’ll ask again in case this has changed: I am inputting a gavotte which has two sections and a D.C. al Fine so the first section is played again. The first section is in D major and the second section is in g minor. I would love to place a cautionary key signature at the end of the second section. The responses I see from a few years ago indicate that this isn’t possible (without adding an extra bar, which I know I can do.) Has this changed? I can’t find anything in the manual about this but perhaps I’m not looking under the correct terms.

Has not changed.

Too bad, because it’s such a common usage. I’ve found a workaround – create a short measure and hide the meter. Move the default whole rest that appears down below the staff a low to where it won’t be noticed, so that final short measure is empty and the only thing showing is the cautionary key signature.

An alternative might be this…
DC key
Add a key change just before the final barline and adjust the offset in Engrave so it appears after the barline.

In a Da Capo, would that even be a final (rather than a double) bar line?

I don’t want to start a big argument here, just wanted to know.

It would quite often be an end repeat barline.

2 Likes

Thank you for the suggestion, Janus. I’ll see if I can adjust the offset for the final barline so that there are empty stave lines for the cautionary key signature to go on. I hadn’t considered the ability to change the offset for objects. I can do it simply in Sibelius with the Inspector but I hadn’t thought to see if there was anything in Dorico to do the same.
After this project is done I can see that I shall have to sit down and ready the whole manual before the next project starts!

Derrek – I’ve seen it published both ways, sometimes with just a double bar and sometimes with a final barline.

1 Like

Hello dhbailey. Is this the example you want to get?
Gavotte I - II.pdf (18.4 KB)

That is it exactly – did you do that in Dorico?

Yes, with Dorico 3.5 or 4 it is the same process

1 Like

The end

1 Like

Thank you – that is so simple. I just tried it – clicked on the last bar and hit shift-b and entered -1 and that extra bar that I had tried to make as short as possible disappeared but the key change stayed.

Excellent! Thank you very much!

I find that this does not produce a result that persists.
I can delete the extra bar in the system track or by the caret, shift b -1.
Both methods produce the desired result at first, a cautionary key signature.
When I save the project and open it later, the full extra bar has been reinstated.

Possible solution would be to make the final bar 1/4 or something even shorter like 1/64, then remove the rest that appears and hide the final barline, so the bar will stay even when you save the file and should be just as you left it when you re-open the file.

1 Like

Yes, that works, thank you.
Notation options > Barlines has an option for No Barline at the end of a flow.
(I know, of course, that handling of key changes at repeat structures is on the list to be addressed).

A wrinkle with the second method.
A condensed staff has the bar rest, although it is hidden in the components.
condensed
As before, Shift b -1 removes it - but temporarily only.
shiftb-1

Hello

I have just seen your messages and in reply I am sending you a part in Dorico file which shows that it is possible to put a cautionary key signature and even a meter at the end of the piece. Unfortunately I am unable to remember how I did it. This file doesn’t move when you reopen it, you can change the meter but if you change the key signature the measure comes back!
Maybe the file will help you. At the moment the procedure does not come back to me. Sorry
Key change at the end of a piece (2).dorico (570.3 KB)