Key command change problem

When I try to change Key Commands, it’s always a struggle to get them being accepted. For example, I search for Accent, select that word and then in the Press shortcut field I type the key I want to use. Now what should I do to get it accepted? The “Add Key Command” button is not available at this point, it’s still grayed out.

edit: bummer, Dorico seems to be frozen after having tried this for a while… I forced quit the program and lost the project file (nothing in the backup folder). It was only 1 single page from the Getting Started with Note input in Dorico" document that I was checking out, but still I wonder why this happend. After I closed the preferences window while trying to change the Key Commands, all the menus were grayed out and I was not able to click on anything in the main window. What could have been the cause of this?

It’s difficult to know, really. My observations are that
a) after typing the shortcut into the “Press shortcut” field you do have to wait a second or so for the “Add Key Command” button to become available, and if a warning comes up in red you should read it
b) the Preferences dialog is modal: when it’s open you cannot interact with the main project window. The only legitimate way to close it is using the “Close” button at the bottom. By the sounds of things you didn’t successfully close it.

I waited longer because I know it can take some time for the button to show up, I even walked away and made coffee. Still it wasn’t available. I don’t know exactly how I closed the preferences window but it shouldn’t result in a frozen main window.

1 Like

The “Add Key Command” button is not available at this point, it’s still grayed out.

Actually I experienced this problem also, while working on my personal shortcuts, but funny to say Dorico simply ignores some key-combinations and does not show any red warnings. Unfortunately I have to admit, that I don’t remember those. But as soon as I tried another combination the button was working. This happened to me about 3 or 4 times. So if this happens again, try just an other combination. I’m curious if this works for you too.

There are some keys on some keyboard layouts that won’t work for setting shortcuts – for example, those that produce a diacritic or are otherwise “dead” because they only produce a character when they are followed by another character. Such keys won’t even register in the edit box in the Key Commands editor, because Dorico can’t “see” that you’re pressing them.

There are some keys on some keyboard layouts that won’t work for setting shortcuts – for example, those that produce a diacritic or are otherwise “dead” because they only produce a character when they are followed by another character.

Yeah I knew about the diacritic one’s and didn’t mention them, but there were also a few others. I write them down for me, the next time I bump into one …