Key command changes for faster workflow

Started with Dorico from the first release after using Sibelius from version 1.
I have a danish keyboard which is very different from the english and too many shortcuts were useless for me. So I found a PDF-keyboard and re-designed it in Photoshop - and notated in it many of the changed shortcuts.
Still I have to change my keyboard to german to find the letter | for writing “overlayered Chords” (My PDF-keyboard has not been revised for a long time now. But here it is)

Almost two years ago I started to write all keyboard shortcuts into an Excel spreadsheet so that I can keep track and find my changes in shortcuts again and also can easily search and filter. Of course the update to Dorico 3.5 is still missing but so many new commands were not added … If you are interested you can find my latest version here:

This summer I will dedicate myself to the newest version and upload it as well.

Or just open the keycommands.json file in a text editor!

Dorico also gives you a handy guide to all your key commands, under the Help menu.

To add to this thread, I’m definitely going to change the shortcuts for moving notes up by a single pitch or by an octave. Since I find myself needing to do that way more often than moving up/down staves, I think it makes sense to have to use less keys for that.

The layout is very logical and great for me as I’m coming into Dorico from Cubase so i have no pre taught workflow with another notation software, BUT! As a windows user i found it very, very confusing as to why the marcato would be # and not \ like on Mac, as it requires shift 3 to get the articulation. So i just changed that. :slight_smile:

Here in Britain, where Dorico’s developed, the # sign on Windows keyboards is in the same position as the \ on Mac keyboards.

We have the pound sign (the one we use to denote our currency) on Shift-3. I’ve no idea whether this has anything to do with the hash being misdescribed as the “pound sign” in some places :wink:

1 Like

Duly noted! Even the keyboard is all politics! Still great setup for Key Commands! :pray:t2:

You know this actually got me wondering where the pound sign would be at on my keyboard… :thinking: