Key command changes not applying

What are the effects of running the English version of Dorico2 on my computers, which have QWERTZ German keyboards and language set to German (Austria)? I havent really explored all the key commands, though I have noted that some of them dont work in the case that the key positions differ from UK keyboard layout.

David

You should be fine provided you set the keyboard language in Key Commands to ‘German’.

My problem is not just that they don’t show up in the list (whichever list that is), but that they do not work! I’m a longtime Finale user, who’s used to Finale note duration values (on the num pad - even when I work in Sibelius I use the Finale num pad values) so my workflow is exceptionally hampered by having to re-think every note value I input and indeed in using the numbers on the top row of the keyboard as the num pad numbers don’t work.

I’m far more interested in getting my custom key commands to work than I am in getting them to show up on a list if that makes any sense at all…? Thanks so much!

mottocohen, what OS are you using, what language, and what kind of keyboard? Thanks!

Hi Daniel,

Mac OS 10.12.6
English language and English keyboard

Interestingly, I just opened Dorico 1 (still had the demo installed), mapped some note input key commands and they all work flawlessly. Issue seems to be with Dorico 2 only on my system.

Then I would suggest you quit both versions of Dorico, find the file keycommands_en.json in your /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico folder and copy it to the /Users/your-username/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Dorico 2 folder, then start Dorico 2 again: it should use your customised set of shortcuts.

Hello Dorico Team.

This is my first post. I am a long-time Finale user and I am happy to begin my move to your great application.

I am experiencing some problems in a similar way the precedent forum members at this thread. I tried to set some keyboard shortcuts to the Force Stems Up/Down command. The commands (Ctrl-F and Ctrl+Shift-F) are properly set but they do not work, the program ignore them. So I am doing the job through the menu commands.

I am using the Windows version, with Spanish language and keyboard. I had made some changes in the preset shortcuts in Dorico 1.2, they were mostly in note values and enharmonics, to make them similar to Finale and they all are functional in the new version.

And five minutes ago I tried to set these new shortcuts in v. 1.2 and… they work ok! So I think that some in the new version is missing (maybe a translation issue?: in v. 1.2 the shortcuts fall into the “Edit” menu, but in v. 2 they fall into the “Edición” (“Edit” in Spanish) menu).

I hope you can help me. (By the way, excuse my horrrrrible English :slight_smile:

Best regards,

Gerardo

+1 on the situation of motticohen. As I use Finale, Sibelius and Dorico I can’t have all three of them using other key commands.
I’m using Dorico 2.0 (English)
Dutch (Belgian) AZERTY Keyboard.
I remember not having this issue with Dorico 1.2 but I haven’t copied the file and I’m using a new system now.

Thanks in advance

Pieter

Gerardo, I’m sorry you’ve had problems setting shortcuts in Dorico 2. Do you find that you are unable to set any shortcut for the Force Stems Up/Down commands, or is it just the specific ones you tried to set that don’t work? (We updated the underlying Qt framework used by Dorico between version 1.2.10 and version 2.0, and it looks as if some problems with non-English keyboards have been fixed, and others may have been introduced.)

Hello Daniel. Thanks for your answer.

Ctrl-F and Ctrl+Shift-F were the specific shortcuts I have tried to these commands.

I thought it happened because of the lack of a prefixed shortcut to the commands. But I have just assigned a different shortcut (Ctrl+Alt-V) to the Swap Voice Contents command (just for trying), and it worked ok. And it displayed in the menu!

So I tried to assign that specific shortcut to the Force Stems… and didn’t work. I have tried different shortcuts (Ctrl+Alt+Shift-S and so on) with the same result.

I know you will find a solution to this relatively minor bug. Thanks in advance.

Gerardo

That’s very odd, because I’m able to define shortcuts for both Force Stems Down and Force Stems Up with no problem, even when I pretend to my Mac that I have a Spanish keyboard. I guess since you’re in Argentina you have a special Argentinian keyboard layout?

Hello,

What keyboard layout are the developpers using?
I’m thinking of changing my keyboard config in windows 10 from azerty to qwerty English and learning blind typing with it just for dorico.
What will be the best choice? English UK or VS

Regards,

Johan

We’re all in London, so we’re using UK keyboards, but we do have and test with keyboards for each of the languages for which there is a localised version of Dorico. Unfortunately it isn’t practical to buy and test with every possible keyboard variant on both Windows and Mac.

Hello,

Still trying to find the best strategy. I understand the shortcuts for UK keyboard is location. Very handy.
But trying the same with a french keyboard is completely different.
Always using shift for numbers.
Articulations or not logical located together. ( and a lot of them are different then UK )
So the argument for looking up the keys in the manual is not valid.
Why not keeping the shortcuts on the same location as on a UK keyboard? Very handy locations.
What is the logic behind the french shortcut key locations?

Do most French keybord users find the shortcuts handy?

Regards,

Hi Johan.

Indeed one very efficient thing to do is replace all rhythmic values with the accents — replace all numbers (that need shift) with the same key (without shift), and vice versa for the accents. I found you earn easily a lot of time with the French keyboard.

Hello MarcLarcher,

I see you have the same experience as me.
I was thinking about swapping keyboardlayout in windows 10 and switch to UK only for Dorico.
Great for note input but clumsy when inputting text and lyrics. So back to start.
I suppose the best way will be to completely remap all shortcut keys to the same locations as UK keyboard.

Question?
Is it a hard job for somebody at Steinberg to create a French keyboard json file where all French shortcut keys are mapped to the same locations as the UK keyboard? That would be a great timesaver.

Regards,

Johan

Johan, I remember I have been asked whether it would be a good idea to keep the unshifted keys for rhythmic values, and at first I did not realize it would — but then I re-answered it would be a good idea. Since then I remapped my keys in the preferences (it took me like five minutes) and did not have to think about it again. But for sure, and for new french users, I think that remapping “from scratch” would be a good idea, even if it complicates the french documentation — I guess that part is why that change has not been done :wink:
Marc

@Daniel: Will this also resolve the problem of keycommands not applying as well?

Best regards

same thoughts here with a Swiss-french keyboard trying to reset/change my keyboard keys to the UK designed layout and functions