Key Command Question: Something is stealing ALT-F

Hi -

In Cubase 7.5.40 I had ALT-F as a shortcut to open up the “FILE” menu at the top of Cubase. Now, in Cubase 9 however, that combination doesn’t do anything at all.

I did have some problem setting that up back then, iirc something else was stealing it, but for the life of me I can’t remember how I got around that. Would anyone know what I need to do?

Thanks!

Hi,

Did this work in Cubase 8 or 8.5 to you? If I’m right, this is a system Key Command (not Cubase). And it works for the active window. Because of the Cubase windows handling, the menu bar is nit in focus, in fact. And because of this, the Key Command doesn’t work.

This is my expectation.

It worked in Cubase 7.5.40 for me, I never used Cubase 8 or 8.5. So there is a way to make it work, I just forgot how.

Someone here set me straight a few years ago (I think it was here, though I couldn’t find it in search) … hopefully they will come around again!

Thanks -

Hi,

There is a different window handling on Windows since Cubase 8. So this could be the reason, why it worked in C7.5, but it doesn’t work now. And the explanation is above.

Thank you, Martin. As you mention, that may be the situation. I would like to remember the way I got around it when I set up Cubase 7.5 however, to at least give it a try.

Would anyone know how to release the ALT-F command from Windows, so I can use it in Cubase 9 (if indeed, that was what was causing the problem)?

Thank you -

Well, I’ve clicked a bit (a lot), and am no farther along.

Maybe I can ask the question another way: How are people opening the “File” command at the top of the Cubase 9 window - is everyone using a mouse to get there?

Thanks -

48-hr bump:

Is anybody accessing the “File”, “Edit”, “Devices”, etc. menus at the top of the page with anything but a mouse? My key command from Cubase 7.5.40 doesn’t work anymore, and I can’t remember how I got it there in the first place (not listed in the Key Command menu).

Or maybe it’s impossible, have to use the mouse, as someone else suggested?

Thanks -

AFAIK it’s no longer possible in C9 due to the new window management system.

Oh, ok, thanks.

I don’t know anything about coding, but it’s really so hard to have key commands access those items at the top? Having to use the mouse to access them seems so 1990s.

I’d suggest you use direct key commands for the various functions in the menus. It’s faster.

Ah, I see. Yes, I’ll do that. Much better, very acceptable. Thank you!