Key Commands & Changes from WL8.5

Hello,

since the last Update to WL 9.0.30 there are only few Problems left, that were taken away due to the Workflow/Layout-Change un WL9:

1. Key Commands: It’s still not possible to change the “Rename” Key Command to an own Key. It’s fix to “F2” - which may make sense in the Windows World but none on Mac OS X. Also “F2” is not useable for any other command.
    Would be great.

2. Still waiting for Key Commands to directly access Last Used Files / Montages Tab, and even one for to reach the Key Commands Tab, etc (While I still think the old Shift-O to have an own window for the last used Files was more intuitive)

3. Also a cool thing would be (know for example from Apple Logic) to be able to use the Num-Pad Number-Keys and “normal” number-Keys as independent Keys.

4. Something which I already mentioned some time ago, which was more elegant in WL8.5:
    when selecting sth in the edit window, and want to expand the selction to a point which is not shown in Edit-window in older version i could drag the mouse out of the window, and it would mark - on-and on and on … (hope you understand) . In WL9 it stops … or I have to leave the mouse at the very end of the Edit-Window

Thanks again for the great support and this extraordinary piece of Software :-9

Christoph

1. Something which I already mentioned some time ago, which was more elegant in WL8.5:
    when selecting sth in the edit window, and want to expand the selction to a point which is not shown in Edit-window in older version i could drag the mouse out of the window, and it would mark - on-and on and on … (hope you understand) . In WL9 it stops … or I have to leave the mouse at the very end of the Edit-Window

Still possible. Try again, but don’t move the mouse too far away.

Philippe

Yes, I know. It’s just that me and my colleagues often stumble over it in quick editing. In earlier Versions it was not such a narrow field.

Again some Key Command related questions:

Why are there so many Key Commands not user-changeable ? If they are fixed (maybe to comply to System Standards ?) I would find it useful to at least be able to add Midi or Keywords.
And a small but useful feature from e.g. Emagic/Apple Logic Backward search of KC. … if i press the Command with the open Key-Command List ist jumps to the right entry.

And something I mentioned in an earlier Version, which would be great: The Recording Window would be a lot more safe if it wouldn’t be necessarily be in the foreground to react to Keycommands. ( Background Info: I work a lot while recording with WL: play files to the actor, lookup marker, search the dictionary.) I would feel much better if I knew, all the keys I press to control the recording, really only controls the recording window and nothing else.

Kind regards,

Christoph

Why are there so many Key Commands not user-changeable ? If they are fixed (maybe to comply to System Standards ?) I would find it useful to at least be able to add Midi or Keywords.

I would not say, “so many”. But yes, some are standard, like Cmd + C, and some others require special processing, like all the keys starting with a digit.

And a small but useful feature from e.g. Emagic/Apple Logic Backward search of KC. … if i press the Command with the open Key-Command List ist jumps to the right entry.

I don’t see what you mean. A picture maybe?

Ok “many” is for me only, as I often happen to stumble over it :wink:

The F2-Key I use for editing (as I have many edit-functions (gain +/- /cut/play selection/Quickrender…) at the left hand to keep the right on the mouse- an be quick.
Now I have F2 as play-selection (imported KC from WL8 - overriding F2-as rename) but no rename. (On OS X “F2” is no “Rename” System Standard but fixed in WL (since WL9)

Another one just solved itself: I found out my Keycommands were bit messed up:
By importing the prefs from WL 8 and earlier I have many functions in the Shortcut-List multiple times.
The ‘1’ and ‘2’ were set from earlier versions - but obsolete in my workflow now. But the same Function was set by another key - so 1 nd 2 would do nothing. But by using i.e. KC “1 then g” or “2 then G” would not work.

To Apple Logic:

Sorry I just found, that it’s possible of search for the keys already. (As many times in WL- function i miss is already there since many years)

BUT another one: Logic can distinguish which Number-Key is pressed - Number-Block vs normal Key.

All of that obviously not important to many people, but to me :wink: But I see that there are many things much more important.

Thanks for reading

Christoph